Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxes before closing?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Taxes before closing?

Hi all! I'm scheduled to close on my new build home in early April and was just wondering if the lender might require me to do my taxes before then as a condition? I'd really rather not because I think I will owe about $1000. I know I can just ask my LO but I'd like to know if that is something that is usually required before I bring it up with them. Thanks!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Taxes before closing?

If you are this close to the end and it has not been required as a condition, I doubt it will become a last second condition. It is always best to run it by the LO for clarification.

Message 2 of 12
leahkline86
New Contributor

Is it before April 15? If so, they shouldn't ask you to.
Message 3 of 12
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

If your truly worried about filing now you can always ask for an extension on your taxes as well, they can't force you to file if extended. Unless your surpass the deadline before the transaction is complete. Hope this helps Smiley Happy
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cartwrna wrote:
If your truly worried about filing now you can always ask for an extension on your taxes as well, they can't force you to file if extended. Unless your surpass the deadline before the transaction is complete. Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Thanks forthe tip! I think I will give that a try!

Message 5 of 12
jd403
Regular Contributor

I asked the same thing to my LO and she told me that as long as closing is before April 15th, no LO can force you to file 2015 taxes.  

FICO 8: TU 716 EX, 718 EQ 721 (10/19/21)

Discover IT $10.5k, Citi AA $10.8k , Cap One QS - $6.3k, Amex Optima - $4k Kohl's - $3k, M-Life MasterCard $8k, Amex Delta Gold $16.5k
Message 6 of 12
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

file extension to be safe. 

Retired Lender
Message 7 of 12
flan
Regular Contributor

@cartwrna wrote:

in general, though, the IRS requires you to pay the tax you owe by April 15 (actually, the 18th this year because of Emancipation Day).  If you don't, you will owe interest and possibly penalities. 

Message 8 of 12
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

That's true, but the interest on 1k will be minimal. Better than not getting a home IMO.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your input everyone! Much appreciated!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.