Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxes

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Taxes

I just received a letter from the IRS stating that I omitted some income in 2009 & 2010. I owe $2k and I can set up a payment arrangement. Will this affect my loan app? There aren't any liens or anything and this is the first notification I received.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Taxes

If it's not reporting, it's probably not affecting, yet!  Pay that before you get a lien put on you. 

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 9
namvet
Established Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

If it's not reporting, it's probably not affecting, yet!  Pay that before you get a lien put on you. 

+1  As long as you are working with the IRS your chances of a lien or negative remarks on your credit files are slim IME.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

So setting up a payment arrangement shouldn't affect anything?
Message 4 of 9
rinkgirl2
Valued Member

We set up payment arrangements with the IRS and after 6 months of payments we have not seen anything reporting to the credit bureaus so I think you will be okay. 

Message 5 of 9
namvet
Established Contributor

@rinkgirl2 wrote:

We set up payment arrangements with the IRS and after 6 months of payments we have not seen anything reporting to the credit bureaus so I think you will be okay. 

YES

Message 6 of 9
awal
Regular Contributor

I've had a payment arrangement with the IRS for about 18 months from some consulting income I had. It has never appeared on any of my credit reports. As long as you are paying them on a consistent basis you will be fine. I suggest you opt for the automatic payments and save yourself a little on the setup fees.
Starting Scores: 
Current Scores:  
Message 7 of 9
beb86
Valued Contributor

@rinkgirl2 wrote:

Its like a utility bill....you pay on time monthly and nothing happens but you miss some payments and that's when the report IME

Message 8 of 9
hendersj31
Valued Member

Ok, I know the amount is small but be sure to check with your lender.  I know for a fact that there are certain cases where you have to have been making payments for 12 months before you will be approved for a mortgage.  I am assuming those are cases where the tax owed is much higher, but wanted to make you aware. 

Of course anyone with better info please respond as I am curious too. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.