cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thank you!!! From a new member...

tag
SincereVon

Thank you!!! From a new member...

I just closed on my first home (technically OUR first home, I'm married but my husband wasn't on the financing) on July 12th.  It was a process that took almost 3 months.  I had lurked around on this board the entire time, and learned WAY more than I would have otherwise.  I want to thank everyone here for sharing your stories and tips.  They really do make a difference!!

My credit history was terrible.  Repossession, judgment, late payment after late payment.  I never took credit that seriously because I never really learned about why it was important.

Well, finding out that I was pregnant with baby #2 while living in a one bedroom apartment changed things.  Hubby and I wanted more space, NEEDED more space, and preferably space of our own.  I set out to fix my credit and did so fairly quickly.  Took out a credit rebuilder loan through my CU and paid off nearly everything.  Settled on other things, and started to make every single payment on time or before time.  I also opened two low limit secured credit cards and paid those in full every month.

As soon as I saw my credit score was 620, I applied for a mortgage through my credit union.  I received my preapproval, and started shopping.  Had it not been for this forum, I would have lost my mind!  I read it every day, received pointers, and worked my way through it.

Now, I'm 6 months pregnant and decorating my kids rooms while my hubby mows his lawn.  It's great!!!!!

So, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The home buying process for a first timer can be so confusing, and at times downright dreadful.  Without all of your knowledge I would have thought I was alone.  I seriously can't thank you enough! 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
indecison
Regular Contributor

Re: Thank you!!! From a new member...

Congrats on the house!! Funny how you mentioned this board helped you with dealing with the stress of first time buying. For me this board has been the oposite. When we bought our first house in 2003 we were so clueless we didnt even know enough about what was going on to know you were suppose to worry about stuff. Times have changed in the mortgage industry since then though. Reading this board makes me worry about things I had no clue about now that we are in the process of building our 2nd home.

Message 2 of 7
nc
Contributor

Congrats... hope we will find and move into our dream home soon.

Current Score: EQ: 786 (08/23/2012), EX: 802 (08/23/2012), TU: 774 (08/23/2012),

Goal Score: 800+ FICO across the board
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your new home!

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

Message 5 of 7
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Your post is really uplifting... and inspiring, if you can do it, then anyone can do it. 

congrats!  and good luck with the new baby #2

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 7
SincereVon

Thank you all so much!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.