Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The 580 or less club

tag
MichiganMommy
Frequent Contributor

Re: The 580 or less club

I live in MI too! What is MSHDA program. Does it have income restrictions?

Thanks for alll of the info!
Updates scores...inching along. Waiting for 7 recent medical collections to fall off!! (seriously working since END of May): EX 519 TU 576 EQ 449
8-02-08 EX 644 TU 647 EQ 575...650s here I come....700club, get ready!!!
Message 31 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a program called "Good Neighbor Program" which provides all kinds of homeownership assistance to teachers, firefighters, paramedics and policemen. There are all kinds of programs out there, so please do some research and find out what is available. You may have to provide a little more documentation than others, but the era of "no-doc loans" is over. Everyone should be prepared to provide two months' worth (and sometimes three months' worth) of original bank statements, along with two years of tax returns, and the two most recent paycheck stubs (showing year-to-date income). Also you will be required to provide a signed document which allows the lender to contact your bank directly to verify the amount in your accounts as well as allows the lender to contact the IRS to get its own copies of your tax returns. This was required in the past but was rarely used because the lender was just too busy. However, now the emphasis is on stopping fraud -- and the lender will verify for itself that you have the funds you say you have and that your tax returns (and W-2 forms) haven't been altered. The lender will also verify your employment and will require you to provide proof of rental payments (or mortgage payments if you're buying a second home). That's why you should pay your rent via check at least 12 months before you buy or at least have copies of all your checks. These days there's no getting around these documentation requirements. Finally, if you are thinking on fudging on any of these figures: DON'T. The FBI has stepped up its efforts to combat mortgage fraud, and while it is concentrating primarily on mortgage fraud by professionals (loan officers working in concert with realtors and appraisors), they are also indicting people who lied on their loan applications about their income, their debt or even if they were going to be living in the home they were buying -- and they are indicting people for this because it's very easy to prove. Most of these people end up in a plea bargain. (And the next step in this entire process will be income tax evasion -- expect to see these criminal prosecutions within the next 6 months -- that is, kickbacks, etc., that weren't reported as income.)

Message Edited by Alternative on 07-02-2008 08:10 PM
Message 32 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

kkbrown7023 wrote:
I was approved last week for an FHA loan with a credit score of 582, and income of 32K.  I had one collection and two 30 day lates.  I had to pay the collection off (only $470) and write letters of explantions for the two lates.  They also put me through the MSHDA program, which pays $7500 of your closing cost.  It also only requires you to put down 1% of the loan amount for your down payment.  My rate is 6% fixed.  It is possible, just search for the programs in your area that are willing to assist.  I never knew we had a program like this in MI!!!!

this makes me feel good. My file has been in underwrite for one full week. I am getting so nervous now. I was told I would know something tuesday..nothing, then today I was told that i would know for sure tomorrow. I am going to be so discouraged if I dont know tomorrow. my score is 587, I make 62k a year, I have no lates in 3 years, paid all bills on time for 3 years, rented from same place for last 3 years, just graduated from college. my file spells stability...so WHY is it taking so long to get a yes. The loan officer told us it was OK to look at properties and even make an offer because my file is solid. he says that I meet all the criteria for approval. well we made the offer on the house and we just had our offer accepted today!! I want to be 10 times excited but until I get the actual approval from the underwriter, it is hard to be super excited. I feel better reading your post. it would be nice to only have to put 1% down instead of 3%.
Message 33 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am so nervous just by reading your post. My mid FICO score is 598, but the loan officer pulled it and said it was 569. He advised that the scores they pull may be lower. I increased that scored from 457 in February with a current utilization of 91% approximately (plan to decrease to 50% this month). I need to have a pre-approval by next month because the townhome that I would like to buy will be complete in January and there are currently 13 of 26 remaining (went on sell in January). I hope you will get approved because that will give me something positive to look forward to.

Message Edited by IsaJocola on 07-07-2008 11:47 AM
Message 34 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

I finally got my APPROVAL!!!! I am so excited!! I have acquired new white hair with all of this stress!!! We are set to close on 7/25!!!! The days can't go by fast enough. My lease is up on 7/31 so we were really pushing deadline. I did a whole lot of praying. I did not have any lates in 3 years, I have stable income (62K), and stable rental history. I have paid all of my credit cards and car payments on time. They took a long time to finally say yes but they did today!! woohoo!!
Message 35 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

CONGRATS and GOOD LUCK..Smiley Very Happy
Message 36 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! Can I ask how you found a bank or broker that would deal with you with scores under 580? We've been told that 580 is the minimum that FHA will accept now and the couple folks we've talked to said to wait until we hit that. FICO says 500 is the minimum score ... DH is finishing school and has a good job lined up beginning in September so our scores (hopefully) will improve quickly from the 550's they're at now. We will have 20% down, good savings (in the form of retirement accounts) and have owned our current home for 16 years. We're just bursting at the seams and want to take advantage of low prices right now.
Message 37 of 65
coachhenson
Regular Contributor

Told you so...

Congrats QualityQueen.  Good luck with the new digs!
Message 38 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought to get FHA you had to be first time homebuyer? 
Message 39 of 65
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

mickie08 wrote:
I thought to get FHA you had to be first time homebuyer? 

nope.... never been that way.......
Retired Lender
Message 40 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.