Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official NACA mortgage thread

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Official NACA mortgage thread

Hello sparkle1908,

Oops... Sorry!  Monday mornings, y'know? Haven't gotten to the second cup of coffee yet...  Smiley LOL

From your statement "I don't have a payment shock but was given an amount to save up", I assume that you are not asking for a mortgage payment bigger than your current rent.  That being understood, a lump sum is not a bad thing.  Yes we would still like to see some sort of regular monthly savings, but your key objective is to reach the Minimum Required Funds (MRF) amount set by your counselor. In such a case, a lump sum deposit will certainly be helpful.

Simply write a LOE for that as well, explaining the surce of the funds.

Tim Trumble

Online Operations, NACA

ttrumble@naca.com

Message 4271 of 4,793
sparkle1908
Valued Member

Thanks Tim!! Yes, you are correct...I don't want my mortgage to be more than what I currently pay in rent...I am working on the savings (while trying to take care of debt to bring my ratio down...once that is done I can put more towards that account) so the lump sum would actually be where the bulk of that "savings" will come from...that would help greatly and take a lot of stress off my mind!!! Thanks sooo much for putting my mind at ease!

Starting Score: EX:531 EQ:591 TU:614
Current Score: EX:531 EQ:591 TU:614
Goal Score: 650 across the board short term

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4272 of 4,793
Bleu
Contributor

Stall tactics to get money from you. Never seen such BS in my life. Avoid.

Message 4273 of 4,793
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bleu,

Considering that nearly 40,000 families have become homeowners through NACA and all NACA services are free of charge, your claim doesn't hold much water.

Tim Trumble

Online Operations, NACA

ttrumble@naca.com

Message 4274 of 4,793
Bleu
Contributor

Since you seem to know so much about them. What happens to the money when you've been waiting two years with clean credit and income? Can i get back what i put in, or do they just keep it? Which seems to be the MO. Just been through it and being honest about my experience and the 7 people i know who tried. Shouldnt need much patience when you're clean credit wise, no debt and have over 30k saved up as a first time time buyer.

Message 4275 of 4,793
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ Bleu,

Your last sentence tells me exactly what type of person you seem to be. Impatient, and a entitled attitude. Those are these worst two traits to have going through the NACA process. I watch people like you all day quit the program and get far worse mortgage terms. It reminds me of all these upper and middle class people who watch credit score "fico swagger" commercials and think just because they have excellent credit they get to jump to the front of the line, or get special treatment. One of the MANY advantages of the NACA program is credit score doesn't matter(or history for the most part as long as current 2 years is ok), I know this because my credit score at the time of my closing through NACA was 598. It now 714, and was very easy to get there, I just didn't care. NACA treats everyone the same.

Apologies, but I think it's absolutely HILARIOUS, when I read negative comments about NACA....as if it's some sort of a scam, or scheme to steal money from hard working people. The reality is far too many people are simply impatient and entitled.(you would think the first workshop would weed these people out, but I guess not) I'm one of the 40,000~ people who have closed on a NACA home and words cannot describe the feeling I get when I pay my monthly mortgage every month knowing that I didn't have to pay any PMI or closing costs, and total interest paid on a 383k loan will be 28k over 30 years(.0625% fixed) Find mortgage terms like that elsewhere and let us all know.

"Shouldn't need much patience"- hilarious! Shouldn't need much patience on likely the biggest purchase of your life?
Message 4276 of 4,793
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bleu,

You write as if you are acutally paying for our services, which of course is not the case.  NACA only collects a $20 per year membership fee and reimbursement of $10-$13 for our costs in acquiring credit reports when needed, which is never more than once per quarter, so just what money are you talking about?

The simple fact is that if it has taken you two years, there is a legitimate reason for it. There is either an issue you need to resolve which is preventing your qualification or you have not provided all the information/documents needed.  Additionally, even if there was another reason that was somehow delaying your progress, there are a variety of means by which you can seek help such as our Member Services Department, NACA Forum and the Online Chat function on the NACA website.  In other words, if there is a legitimate problem, ask for help instead of complaing about it. Reach out.  We are here to help.

You are the single biggest factor in determining your own success in the NACA program. Likewise for the "7 people" you claim to be speaking for. Patience, persistence and personal responsiblity are the three most important qualities needed for affordable and responsible home ownership.  It was the greedy bankers, brokers and others who catered to those who didn't want to take charge of their own circumstances that caused the mortgage bubble and in turn the greatest economic downturn since the Great Depression.

As Bruce Marks says, "For those who are willing to do whatever it takes, the NACA program is 100% successful". Stick with it, ask for help if there's a problem and take ownership of your own situation.  You WILL become a homeowner through the NACA program.

Tim Trumble

Onlijne Operations, NACA

ttrumble@naca.com

Message 4277 of 4,793
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bieu

If you want and easy breasy convineint mortgage, you will pay for that!  Down payment, closing costs, PMI etc. and you will still need to provide all sorts of documents to your traditional mortgage company.  I had that option also, but chose to work hard and be persistent and yes somtimes mad as heck, but you can't beat the results.  The terms are incredible compare to tradtional mortgages.  If you are having an issue paying for the $20.00 anual fee, then you might want to think twice about all the other fees you'll be paying to the tradional borkers.  I have been very critical of NACA's effeciency and sometimes their procedures, but I kept on focusing on the end resutl and it finally happened last Friday.  It's a long way since I first walked into the inital NACA workshop in October of 2014.  I have been through every step of the process and at the end of the day it worked! 

Mike

Message 4278 of 4,793
NeedsHelp23
Established Member

Four years ago, I attended NACA workshop, got qualified and almost closed through NACA on a brand new house.  An unfortunate set of circumstances caused us not to go through NACA.  Honestly the blame can go both ways.  We were also renting a home, which was on the market.  Our landlord gave us until July 31st to move which was great because we were due to close mid-July.  We also had to file for an extension for taxes, which was recommended by our NACA consultant.  A week before our closing, our consultant (not the original consultant) mentioned that they would request from the IRS a summary of 2012 taxes filed.  I explained we filed an extension and she said no problem.   Me being proactive in this entire NACA process, I decided to call the IRS myself to get a copy.  I found out that the third party vendor had not submitted our extension to the IRS.  My sister ended up paying our taxes as a gift and we thought NACA (Citibank) could use our stamped paid receipt as proof of payment.  The bank has to request the information directly through the IRS and the IRS told them the paid taxes would not show up in the system for 6 weeks.  This was one of the worst weeks of our lives because, the landlord wanted us out of his home and NACA would not accept our copy of the paid receipt.

Now we were in danger of losing $5,000 from the building.  The builder requested our NACA consultant call and give a firm closing date so they could possibly extent.  The consultant never called.  I work down the street from the NACA office and the date of the closing, I went to the NACA office and literally begged our consultant to call the builder to get an extension and she never did. 

We ended up getting a loan from the builder, but the funny thing was, once we were approved for a loan through the building, with a comparable rate of the NACA loan, NACA (Citibank) decided to use our paid IRS receipt and move forward with the closing.  We decided to go with the builder because we had already taken the money we had saved out of the bank to use for closing costs.  Knowing that NACA wants you to account for every penny removed or added from your bank account, we decided just couldn’t go through the NACA ordeal again.

With that being said, would I recommend NACA, absolutely.  If our landlord was not selling their home, I believe we could have convenienced the builder to extent another two weeks.  The stress of the landlord wanting us out of his home took its toll and we had a school aged child to consider.

NACA does work, and you must have patience, patience, patience.  I still recommend it to family and friends.  The most important advice I can give you is to make sure all of your paperwork is in order; I do mean all of it.  Stay on top of it daily.  If you are renting, try to have an extra 2 month cushion to get your rent extended if possible.  NACA does work.

Message 4279 of 4,793
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello NeedsHelp23,

Sorry to read of the awkward turn of events in your situation, but we're still happy you were able to become homeowners.  No doubt a NACA executive contacted Citi on your behalf and requested and exemption regarding the tax payment.  Too bad it didn't come through in time and you had to pay all those closing costs (and probably PMI too).

Your last paragraph pretty much says it all. You have to be a relentlessly active participant in the process. It's not fast or easy but it does pay off!

Tim Trumble

Online Operations, NACA

ttrumble@naca.com

Message 4280 of 4,793
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.