cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official NACA mortgage thread

tag
Tanya007

Re: The Official NACA mortgage thread

WOW... another qualified! How exciting, looking forward to hearing those words. Thanks to all for their tips, advice and support. Nice to see this thread alive again. God bless you all!
Message 3851 of 4,793
NeedsHelp23
Established Member

@chef06 wrote:

Thats great info!   I wish I had this insight a year ago when I had my intake appt.  But I'm happy to say that just this morning I recieved news that I'm NACA Qualified!!

Now this Thursday I go to the Buyers Workshop.   Patience is key!!!!

Congrats on your Qualification.  You're right . . . patience is the key word!!!  Happy House Hunting!

Message 3852 of 4,793
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chef -- Congratulations!!! 

Here's an update on my NACA experience in NYC:

3/17/12 -- Attended NACA workshop

4/6/12 -- Intake appt with MC

4/9/12 -- MC asked for additional  documents -- I sent the same day

4/12/12 -- MC sent file to UW

4/16/12 -- Citi came back and requested:

1.  LOE for two 30-day lates on two separate credit cards

2.  A clearer paper copy of my rent payments -- I highlighted the payments but when scanned the payments were too dark to see

3.  LOE and documentation for four cash deposits

Message 3853 of 4,793
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went to the event in Orlando the end of March. Because of this thread and about 100 hours of internet research I was prepared!! I was put on the phone with a counselor in Atlanta. We spent 2.5 hours going through everything, working with the numbers, etc. Leaving there, he gave me a task list to complete. They were all pretty basic things I needed to do....mainly it was about having the cash in my bank account. On a 129K loan they factured I would need $3089. I have that now and I just had to rework the budget because I wanted a little more mortgage. For my area, Orlando, I just wasn't seeing a lot in the 129 range. I bumped to 150k. He is faxing me the new budget to sign today and HOPEFULLY, fingers crossed will send it over to underwriting today!!!!! Thanks to everyone on this thread, it has helped so much and I hope to give back if anyone needs help!

Message 3854 of 4,793
chef06
New Visitor

Just an update 1 week later after qualification.  Went to Buyers Workshop on Thursday. Saw my first house on Friday and made an offer. Offer accepted on Saturday. Signed Purchase Agreement on Sunday and now on Monday going for the Inspection this afternoon. If all goes smooth we could close escrow in a few weeks!!!!!

All this after being patient for a year and submitting all the documents that were asked to make it happen.

Hang in there Folks, it is worth the wait!!

Chef

Message 3855 of 4,793
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chef06, it's rare to hear that the first house someone looked at was the "one". I'm assuming it was a home that you had already found online. I know prior to my approval, I had a list of about 20 homes that I wanted to see and I actually only saw about a third of them. None of the homes I found online became the ultimate "one". We put offers in on two of of those, but those deals fell apart for whatever reasons. The house I ended up with was brand new home and was superior in nearly every way to the houses I found online. My realtor actually found it. I hope it works out for you. I think it took about 6 weeks and 4-5 diifferent offers before we landed our home.

Message 3856 of 4,793
TXBeliever
Established Member

Llmathews18,

Thanks so much for your informative post.  You brought up some great "watch outs" that I too wish I had known about before beginning the program.

So glad things seemed to work out for you.  I'm in a similar situation.  I have already found the community that I want to move into as well as the floorplan I want (my realtor, who has attended the NACA workshop, recommended that we do that because the NACA process is so slow).  The community is almost complete, and they only have around 9 lots left.  To give you an idea of where I currently am, my file has been sent to U/W three times (my first counselor was horrible, he ended up changing roles in the organization and my file got picked up by a much better counselor - each time the file came back there were new docs that I needed to send in that I didn't know about or had never been uploaded by my initial counselor).  My new MC sent it in, and the file was just returned this morning.  It was not approved due to some late pays on my electric bill account (although I included a LOE, have excellent rental history, paid off a 5 yr car loan with NO late pays, excellent letter or credit from my phone company, make very nice salary, etc.).  My MC sent it back again this morning for a "2nd Level review' which she said means that a head underwriter reviews the file.  She also stated that she included notes letting him/her know what the situation was.  I was really hoping to attend the buyers workshop today, but it appears that will not happen.  Has anyone dealt with a 2nd Level review?

I have debated whether or not I should go ahead and proceed with putting an offer together on the lot and home or if I should just wait.  I know that is a gamble, but I have looked at a million homes/communities it seems, and have finally figured out where I want to live.  I would hate to miss out due to the process being so slow.  I'm thinking that it's better if I wait though.  I won't be in town for the next two Thursdays due to travel, so I wouldn't be able to even attend the workshop until 3 weeks from now.  I guess just knowing that I am approved, I can still move forward with the offer.

So, I understand, after you receive U/W approval, you attend the workshop and get your letter, you can then start making offers.  At what point does the bank app phase come in?  Are you finding that it is like U/W all over again?  Any insight would be great, as I want to be ahead of the game.

Can you also explain what else is different in the new construction process?  Thanks for the help!

Message 3857 of 4,793
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can anyone assist me with how NACA views married couples?  My credit and income is well enough to purchase on my own. I do not want to use my husband's income for the loan and his credit history is not good at all. Is he still required to go through the counseling and credit repair in order to get a loan? Or can I go it alone?

Message 3858 of 4,793
7ate9
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Can anyone assist me with how NACA views married couples?  My credit and income is well enough to purchase on my own. I do not want to use my husband's income for the loan and his credit history is not good at all. Is he still required to go through the counseling and credit repair in order to get a loan? Or can I go it alone?

Lotus, from what I understand, if you are married your husband will also need to go through the process.

TU08 740(1/20/16)

Last app: 06/19/2015
Message 3859 of 4,793
chasmith
Valued Contributor

I volunteer at a lot of home buying workshops, and what is stated there is:

The spouse must be there for the first counseling session to sign for a pull of both credit reports.

Even if one spouse could qualify alone, married couples must qualify together.  Remember NACA isn't just a mortgage broker trying to place loans, they are seeking long term success for borrowers. 

While one spouse may have poor credit, remember NACA isn't credit score driven.  What will happen is that the time periods from the last late payment (12 months I believe), collection item (24 months if not paid), etc. will have to be cleared so that may delay becoming qualified.

Judgements and tax liens will need to be paid.

The best thing to do is to go to a workshop and have your first counseling session together.  Then look at the counselor's task list and recommendations and decide wqhether to pursue.  For me the financial benefits of waiting to go through NACA far outweighed the delays.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3860 of 4,793
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.