Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official NACA mortgage thread

tag
ji9
Regular Contributor

Re: The Official NACA mortgage thread

I think that many of the people who have closed with NACA don't frequent the boards anymore but if any of you do, we are just recently under contract on a house, our home inspection will be happening this week.  Any advice or tips you could provide on anything I can do to make sure we get from this point to closing on time would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.  Smiley Happy 

Starting Score: 608 (TU) 612 (EQ)
Current Score: 679 (TU) 679 (EQ)
Goal: 760 on all
Message 4101 of 4,793
jpstarn

November, 2012...signed up for January workshop (1/11 I think.)

Early January, looking around on naca I saw my workshop was no longer listed.  Emailed naca to find out if it was still going on.  recieved email finally that it was cancelled (I think it was the weekend of a conference they had in DC?).   Got phone call from local branch after the fact that it was rescheduled.  Had I not noticed, I would've showed up.  Not happy.

Early january, signed up for workshop again, for 1/25 maybe.

In the meantime, met with realtor 1/4/14 to look at homes.  Didn't like any.  Talked to finance director at agency and she said I was "easy" and hot me pre approved almost instantly.  

1/23, went to look at morehouses.

1/24, received phone call from local branch that 1/25 workshop was canceled due to upcoming weather

1/24, emailed realtor and put an offer on one of the houses from 1/23.

1/25, horrible snowstorm.

1/26, open house planned for homie put offer on.  Owners accepted my offer 1/2 hour into the open house.  I thank the blizzard that rolled through Smiley Happy

1/28, filled out loan app

2/3, inspection and appraisal

2/10, approved

waitingto officially close 3/18 (didn't think it would all be this quick)

after 2 workshops were canceled, I saw it as a sign that naca wasn't meant to be.  Had I gone naca, I probably would just now be getting to a workshop and wouldn't be closing next month.

Message 4102 of 4,793
RJA
Regular Contributor

@ji9 wrote:

I think that many of the people who have closed with NACA don't frequent the boards anymore but if any of you do, we are just recently under contract on a house, our home inspection will be happening this week.  Any advice or tips you could provide on anything I can do to make sure we get from this point to closing on time would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.  Smiley Happy 

Good luck closing on time.  I was due to close on 12/20/13 but ended up going until 01/07/14.  The sellers were extremely upset but did manage to hang in there for me. 

Hopefully your home doesn't have a lot of issues.  The biggest thing I can say is, find a contractor (licensed and insured) as soon as you get your repair list. 

The HAND department is the worst and you will spend an enormous amount of time on the phone attempting to get things done.  They NEVER answer their phones.  You will need to go through the main line and wait on hold for up to an hour to get through.  I spent almost three weeks dealing with the HAND department.  And trust me they can hold up closing and they don't care how close you are to your closing date - you are not a priority even if you are due to close the next day.

Expect to miss your closing date - from what I've experienced and have read about others it will take at least 60 days to close.  Mine was a 45 day close and it took 63 days.  And I was supposed to be an easy close.   The HAND department is a joke!!  I am still dealing with them now, and they are completely ridiculous.  The amount of paperwork to get the contractor's paid is awful and redundant. 

Good luck with this next part - you will definitely need it.  I thought my anxiety couldn't get any worse with waiting for the pre-approval - boy was I wrong.  HAND department will have you questioning your sanity and theirs.

REMEMBER - find your contractor QUICK!! Do not hesitate at all.  If you have any repairs that are needed or any wish list items, get the bids in as quick as possible.  Trust me on this.

Message 4103 of 4,793
ji9
Regular Contributor

RJA, thanks for the info.  I'm thinking of you and hoping that everything goes well and you are able to close on the house.  Our inspection went well, inspector didn't find any problems with the house but we are on pins and needles awaiting the report from HAND.  

Message 4104 of 4,793
ji9
Regular Contributor

RJA, can you please give some more info on exactly what problems you are having with hand.  PM me if that is easier. We just got our repair list back, it only has a few things on it and I want to make sure we go about dealing with everything in the best way possible.  Just wondering what your situation is and what is it they are doing that's causing you trouble.  Thank you. 

Message 4105 of 4,793
JChouston

If you're looking to "close fast", NACA is not for you. If you put the time and dedication I to the program you benefits will be many. No down payment. No lender fees. No lender points. Interest rates below prime. No PMI. So if you want to spends thousands more now and in the long run, apply for a mortgage the regular way. If you want to save thousands I. The long run and get more house for your monthly payment, stick with NACA.
Message 4106 of 4,793
queen_britt2003
Contributor

I am attending my NACA workshop on Saturday.  I am hoping to close by the end of July.  I had a 621 at the end of December - I'm confident I'm at least at a 640 since I've got 6 negatives deleted since then.  I'm hoping this minimize the need to use alternate credit.  If I choose to go NACA then I'll post updates to this thread.

Starting Scores (2012) - 545-600
Current Scores - FAKO CK (08.15.17) - TU 774, EQ 767
What's in My Wallet: CSP 10.9K CL, Walmart MasterCard 10,000, Discover IT Card CL 9000, BOA Cash Rewards 7500 CL, Tires Plus Card 2200, Discover Card (AU) CL 4000
(Gardening as of 8/15/17)

Message 4107 of 4,793
RJA
Regular Contributor

@ji9 wrote:

RJA, can you please give some more info on exactly what problems you are having with hand.  PM me if that is easier. We just got our repair list back, it only has a few things on it and I want to make sure we go about dealing with everything in the best way possible.  Just wondering what your situation is and what is it they are doing that's causing you trouble.  Thank you. 

I closed on 1/7/14, but it was with great difficulty due to HAND.  Just make sure your contractors are licensed and insured properly.  Every item on your repair list (regardless how minor)  will need to be repaired by licened contractors. One of my items were outlet plate covers and you would not believe the headache this one item gave me.

The easiest way is to find a General Contractor - one that can handle all items that need repair - hopefully one that is already registered with NACA and familiar with their problematic process.  If your contractor is not registered with NACA, you will have to assist them as much as you can, because the website is not user friendly for vendors.  I was on the phone with NACA almost every day trying to help out my contractor's and getting my bids submitted and approved.

I thought I was done with them, I still have to contact HAND to help get my contractor's paid.  The repairs were done on my house 2/5/14 and my contractor's are still waiting to be paid.   I finally managed to get them to approved the funds to pay my contractors. 

Just so you know, I talked to the HAND department last Friday and was informed that their system crashed and are in the process of rebuilding the files, so you might want to call and get them working on your file. 

Message 4108 of 4,793
RJA
Regular Contributor

@queen_britt2003 wrote:

I am attending my NACA workshop on Saturday.  I am hoping to close by the end of July.  I had a 621 at the end of December - I'm confident I'm at least at a 640 since I've got 6 negatives deleted since then.  I'm hoping this minimize the need to use alternate credit.  If I choose to go NACA then I'll post updates to this thread.

With NACA you don't need a higher credit score.  It's irrelevant.  You will need to have 3 positive tradelines for 12 months with NO negative items period.  NACA is the better way to go if you have patience.  And trust me - you must have patience to make it through this process.  But it does work - I can tesitfy to that!!

Message 4109 of 4,793
queen_britt2003
Contributor

So even if I had a 640 or higher my credit score would not be considered?  I have 2 CCs with positive payment history- no lates & always more than the minimum. 

Starting Scores (2012) - 545-600
Current Scores - FAKO CK (08.15.17) - TU 774, EQ 767
What's in My Wallet: CSP 10.9K CL, Walmart MasterCard 10,000, Discover IT Card CL 9000, BOA Cash Rewards 7500 CL, Tires Plus Card 2200, Discover Card (AU) CL 4000
(Gardening as of 8/15/17)

Message 4110 of 4,793
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.