Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Think I Can Qualify for a Home Loan?

tag
nolimits
Established Member

Think I Can Qualify for a Home Loan?

Brief history.  Pretty strong credit prior to 2006.  Had 700-750 FICO's and no major lates, collections, etc.  Went through a divorce and several accounts (CC's, autos, and home loan) suffered several 30, 60 & even some 90 & 120 day lates.  Most were 60's.  Nothing was foreclosed or repossed.  I was back on track and then got another kick when I got laid off work unexpectedly late 2008.  Some of this spilled into 2009.  Had several lates (30's & 60's), but the major blow was a collection judgment.  That was PIF  right at 2 years ago.

Tonight I pulled new FICO's and reports (Equifax & Transunion) and discovered EQ 642 and TU 670.  The judgment still shows, but doesn't say paid or anything that I can tell.  Unfortunately, the EQ report shows 3 collections (2 more than the TU account) .  I was not aware of these until I pulled the report.  Two are medical, and one is a gas bill (supposedly), which is weird because I have gas hooked up now and no deposits/hassle when account was started.  

Report shows most recent late was 3 years + ago.  Most recent collection was 1yr 10mos ago.  And collection was 3.5 years ago.

Looking to purchase around $175k home with 5% down (verifiable source).  Income is $75k/yr.  Could potentially use spouse, but haven't pulled reports/scores yet.  If so, this would boost income into $125k+/yr range.  Monthly recurring debts is $1,000/mo.  

This credit thing has been a rough go for me.  Assuming I would qualify, where is the best place to go that may actually work with me and not just read some damn number. Any help is most appreciated.   

It is only the poor who pay cash, and that not from virtue, but because they are refused credit. - Anatole France

FICO Scores (1/6/13): EX 642 and TU 670
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Think I Can Qualify for a Home Loan?

@nolimits wrote:

Brief history.  Pretty strong credit prior to 2006.  Had 700-750 FICO's and no major lates, collections, etc.  Went through a divorce and several accounts (CC's, autos, and home loan) suffered several 30, 60 & even some 90 & 120 day lates.  Most were 60's.  Nothing was foreclosed or repossed.  I was back on track and then got another kick when I got laid off work unexpectedly late 2008.  Some of this spilled into 2009.  Had several lates (30's & 60's), but the major blow was a collection judgment.  That was PIF  right at 2 years ago.

Tonight I pulled new FICO's and reports (Equifax & Transunion) and discovered EQ 642 and TU 670.  The judgment still shows, but doesn't say paid or anything that I can tell.  Unfortunately, the EQ report shows 3 collections (2 more than the TU account) .  I was not aware of these until I pulled the report.  Two are medical, and one is a gas bill (supposedly), which is weird because I have gas hooked up now and no deposits/hassle when account was started.  

Report shows most recent late was 3 years + ago.  Most recent collection was 1yr 10mos ago.  And collection was 3.5 years ago.

Looking to purchase around $175k home with 5% down (verifiable source).  Income is $75k/yr.  Could potentially use spouse, but haven't pulled reports/scores yet.  If so, this would boost income into $125k+/yr range.  Monthly recurring debts is $1,000/mo.  

This credit thing has been a rough go for me.  Assuming I would qualify, where is the best place to go that may actually work with me and not just read some damn number. Any help is most appreciated.   

Judgements should not appear on the report once payed, they don't stay like other credit. I think you can dispute those off if they are in fact payed. Also investigate the collection accounts. If you can pay off the gas one particularly might be a good idea. Some banks don't have huge issues with medical collections. Some may give you a preapproval with stipulations to pay off certain debt. I personally would apply before paying the medical bills off. The more you can explain the better if you decide to apply now before taking care of the problems with your credit.

Your scores right now are on the low end but possible to qualify. I qualified with lower scores than that but with a VA loan. I didn't have to explain any judgements or collection accounts though. I'm guessing you would be doing something like an FHA loan?

Message 2 of 9
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Wow! Congrats on pulling yourself from the brink and minimizing damage to your credit. You have done a fantastic job so far and your scores are a little low as the the other person mentioned but you could possibly qualify.

Most lenders require a 640 mid fico for approval. However, some will qualify you as low as 580 or 620 and some have more stricter guidelines and require a 660 and there are cases where they require a 700 to take advantage of certain programs. So you could do one of two things:
1. Contact a realtor of maybe a home you are interested in and tell them your situation. Realtors work with many types of brokers and based on their customer's credit, they can point you to a broker that is willing to work with you.
2. You could start calling brokers directly and tell them your situation to see if they work with a lender that will be most likely to help you.

If you don't have a lot of inquiries, I would suggest having the broker who is most likely to help you pull your credit to see where you stand because you need to know what your mid fico is and you won't know until they can pull your EX fico score. No one is able to pull their own EX fico score...only banks can when you apply for credit. The Experian score on their web page is a FAKO score not a fico. If your EX fico is higher than EQ and TU, you most likely qualify. If it is lower, then your mid would be 641 and you may be on the edge of just barely qualifying. I apped for a mortgage back in July just to see where I stood because I was planning on buying as of right now and I am currently on contract. I was told I had to wait until Jan 2013 but since my Ch 13 fell off in Oct 2012, I applied in December and was pre approved. I have 5-6 INQs now and my mid fico remains at 703. YMMV but the INQs did not ding my score not even one point.

Depending on the results, the broker may encourage you to work on some things on your credit report or he may not. Be sure to ask what is the min score required to qualify from him and if he says you are good to go with a 641, you may want to work on raising your score some still if the min score is 640 because they will pull your credit again right before closing and if your score drops to 639, the deal will fall through and you will have to wait until your score raises back up to qualify. This could cost you a home you really like if the seller is not willing to wait.

Hopefully all of that makes sense and if not, feel free to ask me any questions.

Also, to keep your score at the max, keep a low balance (<10%) on one of your cards and a zero balance on the others. You can still use your cards as normal, just make sure to PIF before the statement cuts. Credit utilization is a big component to your score so if your balances are higher than 10%, getting these down will boost your score.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 3 of 9
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I forgot to mention that a home price of $175K is definitely doable on your income.of $75K. You can probably go as high as $375K with your fiancé income.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 4 of 9
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

I agree with what has been said up above except the judgement comment.

Judgements do not automatically fall off because they are paid. There is a process to follow which isnt very difficult. Now others may have been lucky to have judgement removed after payment because the creditor or lender that sued you removed it when they paid.

But once again I agree with the rest of what you been told from both post above.
Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 5 of 9
nolimits
Established Member

Woohoo!!!  Sounds like I have a good shot at this!  Kind of makes the hard work and patience feel worthwhile.  Smiley Wink

In regards to the judgment, I am looking into what it takes to get it removed.  Upon reading this thread earlier today, I started another topic in the rebuilding credit section asking how to get it vacated.  I've gotten some good responses.  Sounds like at this point it's on me to take some action and maybe talk with an attorney to get more familiar with my options.  I would absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE to have that sucker gone!!!

Also, as memory recalls....on the collections, I can try to do a PFD process, right?  It's been awhile since I've been here, but basically I offer to pay them if they will delete the collection from my account.  Also, I thought there was a special process for getting the medical stuff removed.  Can anyone point me on the right track for that?  All these collections have me a bit nervous since I don't really think they are mine.  I already mentioned the gas company, but the medical collections just have amounts and no names.  How do I go about finding out who to contact?

In regards to the utilization, I might be able to pick up a few points on the score.  I have about a 45% utilization rate.  I could easily pay down to 10% or less in the next few months.  Do you know how many points that might give me?  I'm guessing 5 or so?

Thanks again for the help, it is much appreciated.  Also the encouraging words.  Keep the comment coming!

It is only the poor who pay cash, and that not from virtue, but because they are refused credit. - Anatole France

FICO Scores (1/6/13): EX 642 and TU 670
Message 6 of 9
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

If you have the fico score watch product you can simulate how much your score might boost if you get your utilization down to less than 10%. I'm guessing your score will boost about 10-20 pts, which would help you a lot.

For the collections that you are unsure about in terms of if they are yours or not, you can send a DV. Which is Debt Valid, and that will ask the collection agency to write you back on if the collection is valid or not. If it is not, it will likely be removed. There is a ton of great help on how to do this in the Rebuilding forum.

Good luck to you and keep us posted. You are there!
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry it appears I may be wrong about the judgments.

In my experience I had owed a state college money and had a judgement against me. I payed it off and it was completely removed from my report shortly after without a trace of ever being on there. I didn't request this or do any paperwork.

Message 8 of 9
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Yes some creditors will automatically vacate the judgement. But they do not have to.
Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.