Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thrown a huge curve ball today.

tag
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Re: Thrown a huge curve ball today.

Are you at the max range of the DTI limits? In a case where accounts are open but have a zero balance an Underwriter can ask that they be closed. It is rare but does happen. They look at all of the available credit as an issue since any use of it would put you over the limits for DTI. Sorry this is happening to you - 

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 11 of 17
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@awp317 wrote:

Ok so lender emailed me today and said I basically needed to close every single revoving account, I can still maintain the car lease. But he said anything thats got a 0 balance close, and anything with a balance, pay in full and then close. IM only allowed to keep one open (my oldest trade line which is target) , now he said after I close I can open them back up immediatly. But why would he require this? According to the lender before I even went under contract I was approved with no conditions (the lender did say they may want some closed) but ALL of them? They said either close the accounts or put down 10% more but they dont reccommend putting more down as "money is cheap, and its better to have your money grow in your stock market than sitting on a house" IM honestly just going to put 10% more down at this point. But I only had less than 5k accross all my accounts, he never gave me a reason other than "the accounts are exposure and must be closed", but then the next sentence "but you can open them back up after closing if you wish". So wth guys? 

Your lender is selling that loan to Wells Fargo and is therefore underwriting your file to WF's standards. Not an uncommon occurance.

Message 12 of 17
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

My loan was sold to Wells and my DTI was border line.. I didnt hear crap about my credit cards.. 50 something backend DTI FHA.

Message 13 of 17
awp317
Frequent Contributor

im 38% DTI according to the lender if we include property tax and insurance on my rentals, lease payment, minumum card payments, and new mortgage. So I guess you would call that borderline (I think 40% is the max). The mortgage broker I was working with before this guy said "we have more leanient standards than most banks, but when we go to sell the loan, it looks better to not have these open" I really dont give a damn how I look when they said I was approved and they are trying to sell the mortgage. but I guess its the difference between approval or not approval. I have been given a third option and im consitering it, but may just go still with the 30% down isntead of 20%. The third option is I put down 5% more, then I was instructed to buy out my lease (so now I own the car outright) Pay off all revolving balances, and close every trade line but my Amex charge cards, Largest Chase, Largest Citi, and USAA. Im trying to see if he will let me keep penfed as well. But might be for the best. All the cards that I close on my credit will appear as "closed by consumor request" which hopefully after my CR recovers I can ask for limit increases across the board. 

Its really is more than I wanted to mortgage. But its a house that we got in a bidding war on and we didnt want to loose the house before selling the rentals. Living in an 1800 sqft rental is quite a switch from what were used to (and dealing with showings). So we did all we could to make it work as quickly as possible. We have been out of our old house since the 20th of december and the CEO of the household is not happy. 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 14 of 17
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Closing your revolvers will cause your score to tank since your util will appear to be bad with the charge cards since they don't report a CL.

These people are frauds and idiots. Listen to the masses and walk away now, please.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 15 of 17
Peter1142
Established Contributor

38% DTI is not borderline.

Something sounds extremely fishy and I would not oblige. Closing the accounts could tank your score in that you won't qualify at all anymore.
Message 16 of 17
awp317
Frequent Contributor

I agree with the masses but also dont want to loose the house over it. Fraud or not if they are (hopefully) lending the money im in a situation that I need them to still do that, if even for one day. I doubt I would be granted an extention again, we were supposed to close on the 14th but the appraisal took longer than expected. So for purposes of right now make this happen, Im going to put an extra 10% down, then I dont have to touch my trade lines. Then the next week go seek out other lenders to do a refinance. 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.