Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timing closing and wire transfers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timing closing and wire transfers

I will be closing on a house 9AM next Thursday (5/13) and an issue came up. My attorney said I would have to bring a certified bank check to closing but she would not know the exact amount until next Tuesday (5/11) or even possibly next Wednesday morning (5/12). 

I bank with USAA and of course they do not have any brick and mortar branches and the best they can do for certified checks is to ship it from Tx and have it here next business day by 3PM. Well if we don't know the amount until Wednesday morning that obviously isn't going to work. 

I was thinking of going to my local Citibank (as much as that pains me) and opening a checking account, wire transferring enough funds to cover closing, and then I could just go to my local branch Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning to get a certified check.

Does anyone see any issue with my plan? Are there any easier ways than opening a new checking account for a week? Is there something I'm overlooking? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Timing closing and wire transfers

Well a friend brought up a good point. When he bought a home he wired money to his attorney's trustee account and she paid the closing costs from her account. That seems like a good option.........

Message 2 of 4
happy0510
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well a friend brought up a good point. When he bought a home he wired money to his attorney's trustee account and she paid the closing costs from her account. That seems like a good option.........

Very nice idea.  What did your LO say about that?

Starting Score: 615
Current Score: 709
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should be within the rules as long as the lawyer is providing a service for you and getting paid for it.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.