Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Title company and my judgment.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Title company and my judgment.

What title company do? i am worry because i have a judgment for about 2300 on my name but for some reason its not on my report. i told my LO that not sure if he will tell underwriter to deny my loan? please help

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

Re: Title company and my judgment.

You have to pay off all judgments. They will find it before you close, and it will stop the sale.

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1.  It will come up.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. i dont know why the jugdment is not on my credit report, it used to be there. but after i dispute it removed 3 months ago.

could someone please tell me what title company do? are they the one going to find out my judgment or the bank that i get a loan from?

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

the title company will run your name through the system and any judgements or liens will come up.  hey will then hold off on stuff until that is taken care of.  It is probably better to address it with your LO/UW now.
Message 5 of 14
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
the title company will run your name through the system and any judgements or liens will come up.  hey will then hold off on stuff until that is taken care of.  It is probably better to address it with your LO/UW now.

Can I ask what system you are talking about?

Thanks...

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly, I don't now.  it might just be through the county records or a federal database.  I am not sure.  I just know that they do.  I have heard a couple times of people getting something that slips through, but that is rare.
Message 7 of 14
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Honestly, I don't now.  it might just be through the county records or a federal database.  I am not sure.  I just know that they do.  I have heard a couple times of people getting something that slips through, but that is rare.

I agree that "the system" is getting better at catching judgements...but many still fall through the cracks. That's because there is no foolproof system.

A lot depends on the credit report. If the judgement is not on the credit report, then it is possible that it won't be discovered. If it's not on the credit report, geography comes into play. The judgement is filed in a county courthouse against the person....likely the county where the person lived when they got the judgement against them.

The title insurance company will search for judgements in the county in which they are located. If the person got the judgement before they moved into the area, that judgement may be sitting in a courthouse somehwere far away. The title company normally won't find it unless they search in counties where the buyer used to live. I know that the title insurance company we use does not do that. They look in our county only.

Now, judgements can be moved to follow the person, but, with the advent of today's credit reporting systems, creditors are not as likely to move judgements around to follow the person.

There are a few caveats here...some states have very good reporting systems. In the boondocks where I live, it is sometimes very difficult to track down even local judgements. It is very time consuming because it is a manual system in our courthouse. There is no electronic system that picks up our judgements. So, when a judgement disappears from the credit report, it takes someone to manually track down that judgement. Not all states are as backwoods as we are though.

All that said...as a former broker, I would advise the OP to pay the judgement before attempting to get financing. Just because it went off a credit report once doesn't mean it won't be sold to a collection agency and show up again...and that could be right before closing. The reason they don't like you to close with a judgement against you is that the judgement will then go against the property. It's a messy business if you get caught being less than truthful.

Message 8 of 14
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

title company will do social security search thru public records.

likely will catch the judgment

if they do not, and you proceed without disclosure.... both you and the loan officer will  be committing mortgage fraud which is a serious federal crime.

Retired Lender
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a little confused,  Why does the title company looks for judgements against the buyer?  I thought they were just concerned that the property being sold had a clear title.  I can see the LO or UW checking for judgements.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.