cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Title reports and mortgage being reported twice to credit bureaus.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Title reports and mortgage being reported twice to credit bureaus.

Our mortgage company, Bank of  America, is reporting our mortgage to the credit bureaus twice making it appear that we owe twice as much as we do. Everything is the duplicate reports including the account numbers.  My husband contacted BOA to have it fixed but they said something about a title report. I wasn't there to hear the conversation and BOA lost the letter that permits me to talk to them (again). Does anyone know what a title report would have to do with our mortgage being reported twice? How can they not know how many accounts we have, we only make one payment a month. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. We are trying to get everything straightened out so we can buy a new home.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Title reports and mortgage being reported twice to credit bureaus.

@Anonymous wrote:

Our mortgage company, Bank of  America, is reporting our mortgage to the credit bureaus twice making it appear that we owe twice as much as we do. Everything is the duplicate reports including the account numbers.  My husband contacted BOA to have it fixed but they said something about a title report. I wasn't there to hear the conversation and BOA lost the letter that permits me to talk to them (again). Does anyone know what a title report would have to do with our mortgage being reported twice? How can they not know how many accounts we have, we only make one payment a month. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. We are trying to get everything straightened out so we can buy a new home.

It would help if you would cut/paste the credit report items here so you can get some good feedback? What is the source of the credit reports that contain this duplicate tradeline?

Message 2 of 16
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Title reports have nothing to do with mortgage tradelines per se.

Sounds like a CSR responded with the first thing they thought of when presented with the question.

If you have two mortgages serviced by BOA, then you will see two TL's reported on the credit report. If you have one, then you will see one. Do a direct dispute to BOA in writing. Otherwise, file a complaint with the CFPB about double reporting.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! We only have one mortgage through BOA. The two listings are reporting the same account numbers, amount owed, payment history, etc. I don't think I can cut and paste since it's a pdf table,  I wish I could  post a screenshot. My husband sent them authorization (again) so I can talk to them. Would love to be armed with info when they bring up the title reports again. Sorry, I'm new here, what is CFPB?

Message 5 of 16
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

The CFPB is a very powerful government agency.  Banks are really responsive to any complaint filed to the CFPB.  Here is the website: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/

Be detailed and factual in your complaint and you should see quick results.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, I will definitely make a report with them. I talked to BOA and they didn't mention a title report. They said we have to submit a letter in writing to their credit dispute dept in California. I'm so frustrated! There's a house we want to buy, we have buyers interested in our house and it's not even on the market yet.  All we need is to get our credit report fixed so we can get a better interest rate. We definitely won't be using BOA when we buy a new house. 

Message 7 of 16
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

I'm curious. Has a LO told you that this is an issue or are you just anticipating it to be one?

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

We expected his credit score to be in the high 700s. Mortgage guy got the report and it was 100 points less than we expected. He didn't understand why. No late payments, no delinquent accounts, no hard inquiries.  He said that just looking at it he would expect it to be a 780 or 800 credit score.he contacted someone and they thought the fact that the double reporting of BOA was part of the problem. It looks like he owes twice as much than he actually does.  It's a bit of a crap shoot bit we are trying everything we can to raise the score.

Message 9 of 16
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

That is a huge hit. Is it showing double on all 3 CRAs?

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.