Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Escrow or Not...

tag
agekeith22
Valued Member

To Escrow or Not...

I am planning on going with a piggyback loan option of 80/10/10.  I was asked by my loan officer if I wanted to escrow taxes and insurance.  I know for sure I do not want to escrow insurance, but I am undecided on the taxes.

My property taxes will be high, about $12k-$15k per year.  I know I will be able to set aside the appropriate funds each month to accommodate for the large tax bill every year without an escrow account.  Honestly, I would prefer not to escrow anything so I have control.

Are there any benefits to having taxes escrowed that I am not considering?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: To Escrow or Not...

@agekeith22 wrote:

I am planning on going with a piggyback loan option of 80/10/10.  I was asked by my loan officer if I wanted to escrow taxes and insurance.  I know for sure I do not want to escrow insurance, but I am undecided on the taxes.

My property taxes will be high, about $12k-$15k per year.  I know I will be able to set aside the appropriate funds each month to accommodate for the large tax bill every year without an escrow account.  Honestly, I would prefer not to escrow anything so I have control.

Are there any benefits to having taxes escrowed that I am not considering?

I think the main benefit is the automatic administration of payments, adjustment for future increases etc...    .

If you're socking away over $10K by yourself for payment then you should hopefully be able to earn a better return than your lender would give you.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.