Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To buy or not to buy???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To buy or not to buy???

Question?  My fiance' and I are trying to determine what the best course of action is for our situation: 

Here are the details... First - we are getting married Smiley Happy  not yet but soon.  I rent, she owns.  She owes around $122,000 give or take, home values for around $135,000 and she has 25 years left on mortgage.  Her interest rate is 7.99% which sucks I know but she can not refinance because her changed job situation has put her well over the allowable debt to income ratio.  I on the other hand make good money still (xing fingers).  I am pre-approved to buy at 4% on a 30 year fixed.  We thought about buying a new place and selling her place but selling her place is going to take a while and I'm happy with it as is except it means a longer trip to work from where I live.

So here are my options... 1)  Get married and move into her place, keep mortgage as is and continue on with things as they are until we sell it or get used to living there.  2) She sells house to me at 4% for 30 years, saves us $350/month but extends the loan out 5 more years and takes longer to build equity.  3) She sells house to me at ~4% maybe less on a 15 year fixed, nearly same payment but pays off 10 years sooner, also builds equity faster than the current loan.  4) See if we can refinance with me on the loan, considering my income, not sure of rate we would get, we both have nearly the same FICO scores.

What does the community think?

Any other options I am not seeing here?

Many Thanks,

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: To buy or not to buy???

Would you buy that house from anyone else?  To say it differently -- if she weren't the seller, would you be the buyer?

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 5
LondonMassey
Frequent Contributor

What area do you live in?  Is it in an area where it could possibly be rented out?  She could use the income from the rent to pay down the mortgage.

Cap1(sc) 550, Cap1 750, Walmart 750, Home Depot 3000, Amazon 700, US Bank 1500, Childrens Place 1100, JC Penney 700, Old Navy 700, PayPal 700, Torrid 700, Lane Bryant 150, Avenue 500, OSP 500, Amex Blue 2000, Disc it 1000, Walmart Disc 2200, Old Navy Visa 1700, Mortgage 09-2012, Car Loan 03-2013

Current Score: EQ 665 EX 687 TU 695

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
anh2lua
New Contributor

Can she short sale the house to you before you guy get married? :-)

FICO scores Experian: 693; Equifax: 656; TransUnion: 707

Goal: 700+ on at least two reports
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

We rented the house for a while but comparable rent in the area barely covers the mortgage.  We did find great renters but I think we got lucky that time.  As far as the house, yes I would buy it if it was someone else selling it.  It is only 8 years old, has been kept up very well, and is the right size for our needs.  The major issue I have is the extended drive to work.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.