cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too early to start Mortgage process?

tag
Topanga1

Too early to start Mortgage process?

My wife and I are considering a home purchase and move during the summer.  Is it too early to start the mortgage pre-approval process?  Our credit history is excellent and we're spending within our "means".  Two months ago we were fully approved for new home construction with Ryan homes/NVR mortgage for $400,000 (unfortunately we lost our lot and had to end the process).  We're now looking at resale properties ($300,000 to $350,000), so we're not too concerned with being approved.  We didn't want to start too early and have a bank/CU pre-approval expire before the summer.  Any ideas?

EFX-707

XPN-751

TUC-718

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
rehr22
Contributor

Re: Too early to start Mortgage process?

@Topanga1 wrote:

My wife and I are considering a home purchase and move during the summer.  Is it too early to start the mortgage pre-approval process?  Our credit history is excellent and we're spending within our "means".  Two months ago we were fully approved for new home construction with Ryan homes/NVR mortgage for $400,000 (unfortunately we lost our lot and had to end the process).  We're now looking at resale properties ($300,000 to $350,000), so we're not too concerned with being approved.  We didn't want to start too early and have a bank/CU pre-approval expire before the summer.  Any ideas?

EFX-707

XPN-751

TUC-718

Ryan Homes, interesting.  Are you from New Jersey?

Starting Score: (2009) EQ = 626 | TU = 664
Current Score: (03-18-2014) EQ = 737 | TU = 703 | EX = 723
Goal Score: 740

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: Too early to start Mortgage process?

I'd wait until you are ready to buy.  No point in racking up more inquiries than needed. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.