cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too soon for appraisal? Should I be worried?

tag
wemmington
Valued Member

Too soon for appraisal? Should I be worried?

This is a new construction home and is 98% complete but when the lender ordered appraisal they came out and looked at the house and said it not far enough along to appraise. THe only things left to complete are landscape in front yard, cut power on, final repaint and clean, mirrors in bathrooms, carpet  and deliver appliances.  I've seen homes in the same division get appraised months sooner than ours so I don't see the problem since they come back out after home is complete to verify everything has been completed anyway.  

I've been worried about appraisal because I get 3,500.00 off price of home if I use the builders prefered lender so If I get a crap appraisal I can't go to a different lender without losing a bunch of coin.  

Any thoughts? 

btw estimated closing date is first week in September. 

TIA

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
namvet
Established Contributor

Re: Too soon for appraisal? Should I be worried?

Only the appraiser knows what thishome will appraise for.  The home does need to be 100% completed before a final appraisal can be done.  The appraiser has a ball part number in mind so why not give him a call for his estimate. The appraisal will be based on what other similar home in your area appraised for.

Message 2 of 4
Catacam
Frequent Contributor

I think it depends on the type of loan you are going for. We had to pay for a reinspect because the house wasn't completed. Landscape wasn't done, some architectectural details (two pillars) weren't 100% and some of the paint needed to be touched up. We went FHA and they have certain requirements and I do for a fact, appliances minus the refridgerator and washer and dryer are required.

CLOSED ON OUR FIRST HOME MAY 30TH!!!

Starting Score: TU 589 EQ 526 EX603
Current Score: TU 635 EQ 603 EX ??
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 4
wemmington
Valued Member

Thanks for the reply. 

It's 30 year conventional with 20% down.  We have to pay for reinspect too thats why I dont understand why he claims it not far enough along to do the initial appraisal.  Something seems fishy to me. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.