cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trading in my car to lower my income/debt ratio... Will applying for a car loan hurt me?

tag
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

Re: Trading in my car to lower my income/debt ratio... Will applying for a car loan hurt me?

Ideally, you do not want any new lines of credit in the 6 months prior to applying for a mortgage.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 11 of 12
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Trading in my car to lower my income/debt ratio... Will applying for a car loan hurt me?

@kimmiller112 wrote:

Ideally, you do not want any new lines of credit in the 6 months prior to applying for a mortgage.

The definition of TL's usually would be taking on more debt.  A simple refi into a lower rate / payment on existing property shouldn't make them jittery.  They will simple ask you to write a letter in most cases exaplaing you did X to get to Y.  I had to do a couple of letters because of some inquiries from a previous broker after shopping around and finding a better deal.  It's no big deal it's just an added step to say you haven't taken on additional credit obligations in the preceding 12 months.  

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.