cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying for a FHA loan and have 2 lates. Advice needed.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying for a FHA loan and have 2 lates. Advice needed.

Hello!

I am trying to obtain a FHA loan.  My median score is 678. I have around $30k in student loans. And that is all the debt we have. I make $5500 a month. According to myfico and doing some online research it shows I should get around 4.9%. (Not sure how accurate that is)

The only hickey I have on my report are 2 lates to our last mortgage company, Bank of Oklahoma.  We sold this house. We took almost $10k to closing due to a crappy market. Smiley Sad This really affected our savings for our down payment on a new home. 

I spoke with a lender a couple months ago. He told me that FHA loans only allow 1 late in a year. One of these will fall off in October.

I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with this. The lender said we could try, but there is a chance the deal will fall through in UW. 

What are your thoughts? 

Note: We are in a temporary home w/ the inlaws since we sold our current home and relocated(same job). We are going NUTS... and are beyond ready to be in our own home. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Trying for a FHA loan and have 2 lates. Advice needed.

I agree with your loan officer, it'd be tough to approve an FHA loan with 2x30 mortgage lates in the last 12 months unless they were due to an extenuating circumstance.  However you should ask if they can have an underwriter review everything ahead of time, then you don't have to worry about that part AFTER you make an offer on a home.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.