cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get a VA loan about three years after a bankruptcy and 1 late payment is killig me!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to get a VA loan about three years after a bankruptcy and 1 late payment is killig me!

I am trying to re-finance to a VA loan. Our bankruptcy was discharged Jan 09, but one late payment after that is killing me. I think it is true, but I disputed it anyways. Just wondering my success rate on getting it removed-or any other options I might have.

My husband tried to start his own buisiness, but we got way too far in debt- with materials purchases to continue and had to file for BK.

Thanks any who respond?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Re: Trying to get a VA loan about three years after a bankruptcy and 1 late payment is killig me!

welcome to the forum

if you can get that removed your chances are good - a late after a BK is not a kiss of death but close to it -

how are the scores and the rest of the scenario> If it is solid you may get past the late - the farther away from it you are the better the chances.

B

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying to get a VA loan about three years after a bankruptcy and 1 late payment is killing me!

Scores are fair basically 635 or so, not too bad considering the BK. I am trying to get the latest 3.75 for even a fair rating with the VA loan. This seems fine to them , but as soon as they hear about the late payment they back off. I am just wondering if maybe the banks might not respond and I might get it taken off-or are they pretty good about that stuff?

@BrianB_The_Loan_Professor wrote:

welcome to the forum

if you can get that removed your chances are good - a late after a BK is not a kiss of death but close to it -

how are the scores and the rest of the scenario> If it is solid you may get past the late - the farther away from it you are the better the chances.

B

Message 3 of 5
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Trying to get a VA loan about three years after a bankruptcy and 1 late payment is killing me!

People say Post-BK Lates are NOT GOOD.  However, there is hope.  I had about 9 post-bk collections and even a post-bk judgment.  I was approved and closed on an FHA home at 4.75%.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think if it is whether or not they are willing to put in the extra effort of assuring a good reason for the late- I think my husband being laid off would a good- he actually took a job with a non-union company, he got fined and then the comapny went union? figure that!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.