tag
nate79416
Regular Contributor

Trying to get ready for home loan.. Should I apply for more credit

My plans are to apply for a home loan in January, currently I have 

1 line of credit 

1 cc

3 installment

Is it okay to apply for more cards, I have always heard not to apply for new credit before you apply for a home loan, but I need points.

The baddies are portfolio recovery 672 I am going to pay them then try to gw for deletion

My mortgage scores are 

TU 627

EQ 595

EX 653

Is the cap one a soft pull, the one you enter your info to see which card you qualify for? I understand I will lose a few points, but when the new credit card reports I may get more points?

Thanks

Thanks

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Trying to get ready for home loan.. Should I apply for more credit

What's your AAOA now and how many inquiries do you have on your reports from how long ago?

Not sold on getting a third card sixish months before a mortgage, LOC + CC should max out most of the score card anyway, you might get a few more points having three for reindeer games but it's not really optimal.  I'd probably solve it with a $250 secured card from SDFCU if I were going to do it personally, or go beg for an AU if you have that option.  

Try to get a PFD for the collection if you can, paying and then GW could be tough.  That said with a 2010 forum registration date would've expected your scores to be higher than that, the one collection is really all you have derogatory wise?

        
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.