Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to help a friend from pulling out her hair-long

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to help a friend from pulling out her hair-long

She has an offer on a short sale and countered the banks offer.  The mediator said 1 week for an answer- he said he would counter and her offer looks great-so she did it. It has been over 2 and no word yet.  Her realtor hasn't returned any of her calls for an update.  Yes she is going through a "slow" bank. Being so close has her frustrated.  The process has taken 4 months longer- due to a second on the property and she has been paying $500/mo more in rent for a  month-month than a lease, taking away from down$. 

I have read that a second approval is valid for a short time.  Is this correct?

She has done everything she can-LO ready and all that. One red flag I see is that the LO wont give a GFE until he has a final contract to go off of.  He gave one before the new GFE law but not after(even with requests.) Last communication with realtor she said she had to watch her income. I know she is within guidelines of the USDA so dont know where that came from.  Also with that program one needs minimal down right?  Excess closing costs are rolled into APR of the loan correct?

Thank you Members and Mods for a great site and TIA for advice.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying to help a friend from pulling out her hair-long

short sales with second liens are VERY hard and rarely go through unless the house is selling for pretty close to the owed value.  Usually the second lender gets more in a foreclosure sale than a short sale so they are hesitant to do so.

Also, beware that USDA seems to be about out of funds for the year.  They are expecting to run out according to alot of reports by the end of April so any homes looking to close need to be moving along for sure assuming those reports are true.  (there is a thread on this in the mortgage page).

There is little that can be done to force it or hurry it up besides inform the banks that if it is not concluded soon you guys will have to walk on the deal.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

mickie thank you for the straight info.  Yea the other thread adds to the hair pulling.  The second has accepted and the deal is done if the 1st accepts her counter.  I'm not involved other than info and this has me spinning round.  When I read that it was a roller coaster... I see they arent kidding. Its like being so close you can almost touch it but just cant stretch any further. RE sure has a lot of little nuances.

Do you think I should have her call her agent and leave a message saying is not done by 'x' date she'll walk? Or if she doesnt hear anything by 'x'?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

She should only do that if she is ready and willing to walk.  One thing confuses me, how can the second accept when there is no official 1st agreement.  The second only gets the leftovers, so until there is a definite figure for the 1 lien settlement, the second can not really officially accept.  They may have stated that they are OK with the idea, but that is a ways from a full approval.

The reason these thing take so long is that they usually have some sort of asset manager or something that handles your file.  They may only loo at your file once every 2 weeks or so since they probably have thousands of them.  Often times they then have to get approval from either a higher exec or a committee that may only meet every couple weeks or so.  So everytime you go back and forth you can be looking at a month or more just to get a simple answer and each re-negotiation can set it back a long time.  Most people looking at these are nitcpicing for the best deal and all the back and forth kills months of time.  The really succesful short sale deasl you here are usually people who just go straight in and say tell us yes or no, no negotations...x price with x concessions period.  No back and forth.  They still wait the month or two to hear back initially, but if they make it clear that this is all they are doing, then the bank can make a decision and get the process going.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Perfect explanation thank you. When they came back with an offer she was not told this. They said 1 week for a response back. It is understandable that the paper has to go through the proper hands for a transaction such as this. It is very complex. Well buisness monetary trading practices and procedures in general trying to find an appropriate balance of the datum. If that makes any sense.

(edited out details)

Gunna have to tell her to be patient a few more weeks. With all these deadlines and "any day now" feeling  its rough and tough on her.

Thank you again mickie for your knowledge and time.

Message Edited by Boggled1 on 03-11-2010 04:44 PM
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.