Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to qualify for a mortgage. Help appreciated

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to qualify for a mortgage. Help appreciated

Hello everyone,

I sold my last home in 12/06 because I could see the markets going down. I was divorced at that time.  I have been renting since then.  I remarried in 7/07.   My credit before my marriage was 800-850.  After I got married, I must have gone brain dead, because I was late x30d on one acct, x60d on another acct and accidently picked up the wrong checkbook to write a check for something when we had closed that checking account and never found out about it until it wound up in collections a year later.  I am current on everything and have been since 2/08.  My credit scores now are all in the low to mid 700s. 

As far as my husband, he was not good with his money before we were married.  He had a number of paid collections (4) for small amounts. He has a car loan x2 years that has alwasy been current as well as 3 other credit cards.  We also have a time share loan together that is 8 months old and never late.  When we first pulled his credit, the middle score was 570.  Since then, we paid off all of his credit cards, because his credit limits are so low, any balance at all, makes for a bad ratio.  So, I'm hoping once that hits the credit report agencies, it will boost him above 580-the magic number for an FHA loan.

We are both empoyeed and make 135k per year.  We have 65k in debt....most under my name. i am trying to pay that down.  We have 24k in savings and 25k in retirement. I have another investment that is worth about 50k.  We are looking at a mortgage of about 385k

Does it seem like we could get approved?  What do you think?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Trying to qualify for a mortgage. Help appreciated

Even though for FHA you would be fine with a 580 score today, majority of lenders are starting to require 600 or 620 scores.  Wouldn't want you to reach 580 and think you are there, just to find out you need a 600 or 620.  Plus the rates are over 1% lower with a 620 vs. a 580, and on $385k that is a huge difference in monthly payment - around $275/mo.  Would need to know what all of your debt payments are to say if your debt to income ratio would be OK or not.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I heard that Wells Fargo has increased to 620. I was told by a LO from Chase though that will FHA loans it is the same APR, whether you have a 580 or an 800.

my monthly debts are 1,447/mo.  and we gross about 11,300/mo

Message 3 of 9
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Hmm, very odd because on my Chase rate sheet it clearly has rate adjustments for FICO scores below 600 & 620.  Your debt to income ratio looks fine.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

We got approved for 400k!!!!!!!    Smiley Very Happy  Smiley Very Happy
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

hmmmm they haven't told us the interest rates yet. 

Thank you so much for your responses, Shane!

Message 6 of 9
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@ShanetheMortgageMan wrote:
Hmm, very odd because on my Chase rate sheet it clearly has rate adjustments for FICO scores below 600 & 620.  Your debt to income ratio looks fine.
Mine too.
Maybe the Chase loan officer is not who you want processing your loan.

Retired Lender
Message 7 of 9
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
We got approved for 400k!!!!!!!    Smiley Very Happy  Smiley Very Happy

Congrats!! 

Retired Lender
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah, we aren't going with him, we just met him at a new subdivision grand opening.  hmmmmm.....we didn't ask our current lender yet about the interest rate, because of what the Chase guy had told us.  hopefully we aren't in for a big surprise.  thanks for the heads up.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.