New Visitor
trinilady2014

Trying to reach my goal - what would give me best chance?

I have been through a tough stretch but things are getting better slowly and I'm looking into purchasing another home but I need some advice.

Here is my situation:

Current middle credit score is about 540. Goal by next December 700!

Last late payment December 2011 - 30 days late.

perfect on time payment since.

High credit utilization 99%

1 collection account 8 K USAA credit card.

income around 73K (DH is 85 so combined 158K)

I own a condo never late on mortgage.

I want to get rid of the collection account and pay down all my credit cards to 1 to 9% but wondering about the order that I should do things. I have $6K in cash right now and Intiially I was thinking to try to settle the colection account hopefully for 50% but then I realized that if I took that money now and paid down the current open credit cards that I could reduce my monthly payments by at least $200 and I would see an immediate jump in my score. I am hoping to buy by December 2013 and I wont have another lump sum to settle the collection account till at least July 2013 when I get my disbursement so what should I do?  If I settle now I'll have 12 months since settle ment by the time I apply for the mortgage...if I wait then only 6 months till I apply but on the other hand if I tackle my debt now immediate jump in scores and lessenign my monthly expense for the next 6 months. what shoudl I do? Everything else is pretty much in line same employer for the last 6 years, good mortgage payment history, like I said a couple lates on credit card debt last one 1 year ago but will be 2 years by the time I apply.  I've had a rough patch due to complications during pregnancy and childbirth which left me taking LWOP.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}