cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE Closed!!!! USDA Loan approval with collections?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USDA Loan approval with collections? UPDATE

UPDATE: I completely forgot that i posted this in April.. I bookmarked it and forgot all about it.

With all the info i got on here I took a big risk and sold my old house in May. We moved in with my dad and did what we had to in order to get our scores above 640 as requested by my lender.

I decided to go through a new builder's lender and when my score was 641 and my wifes was 670 (mid scores) we went ahead and made an offer on a home that was halfway built. We were able to make a few decor options but the house came with all of our must haves thanks to the good taste of the previous buyer who had backed out.

We submitted all paperwork July 23rd. We recieved only two conditions.

To clear up a recent hard pull from a collector who had pulled our credit. This was interesting they just had a credit report company call me and then the collector on 3 way, it was nerve racking but they finalyy admitted that it was NOT for new credit. Then the credit guy hung up on him... LMAO!!! I was cracking up.

The second condition was simply our 2009 tax return from the IRS. Cost me all but 20 bucs.

Went smooth through underwriting and i was informed August 13th that it was good to go .... as long as it went through USDA underwriting with no issues.

THis was the hard part.. Heard nothing.. NOTHING!!!!!!! Until September 2nd, clear to close!!!!!

We closed September 9th, they did pull our credit on September 1st and there was a new inquiry from an old old collector but it didn't bother anything. Thank goodness!

We moved in September 10th and have been settleing in ever since. Absolutly no regrets, we love our home, so glad we chose a gated community it's so peacfull, minus the construction noise and scorpions which should settle down once the homes are all complete.

I wanted to respond to let everyone know out there.. One repo from 2 1/2 years ago unpaid, tons of medical bills and charge offs totally over $10,000 and we still got approved. I guess our stable job history, no late payments in 2 1/2 years and good variety of different kinds of on time debt made up for the risk factor. Our mortgage of $190,000  was since sold to Chase , we locked in 3.75 and with the lower PMI i pay less than my neighbors for the same model.. which is a great plus! If you get your score to over 640 and go through your builders lender i think it does really open up some extra options that may not have been there otherwise.

Good luck to everyone out there i know this was the most stressfull time in my life, the selling, the waiting..the buying ... but just keep your head up and follow the great advise on these boards!

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for the update, I've been watching this thread for a couple of months to see if you'd come back to let us know how everything ended.

Happy things turned out for you and your family.

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Christlike!

I know that i spent alot of time searching for any results regarding USDA loan approvals with collections and i found very little.

I didn't know that anyone was following my story so that makes my day, thank you and I hope you have a similiar story to share soon.

Message 13 of 20
payingoffdebt001
Frequent Contributor

How did you know I've been searching and searching for the longest time for someone to post THIS story!  I heard the same from a mortgage officer and didnt believe what they were saying about collections past 2 years old.  Thanks for updating us!

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope I do too, repTexas!  Thanks!  Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am trying to get approved for a USDA loan my fico is a 640 my husbands is a 612 can someone please tell me if I can get approved for a USDA loan with 4 plus years collections on my credit report

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

can you please tell me who your builder was and your loan officer maybe they can help us

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

My lender was Cornerstone Mortgage and the builder is only located in south Texas.

I can tell you the way it was explaine to me..at least for USDA Texas.

Besides the basic requirements like emploeyment, earnings limits as compared to the local medium income etc..

No late payments in the last 2 years. Unpaid colletions was okay but only they were from two years or older.

And both borrowers credit scores ahd to be at 640. Find a local builder within the USDA limits of your area and speak with their preffered lender. They can check your credit and tell you how close you are to being at 640 and what you can do. I suggest first opting out of solicitions because once old crediors see that you applied for a home loan they willtry to ruin it for you. I dont have the instructions now but it's somewher on the website.

Good luck to you, if you are close enough they may even start a new build if they expect you will be at 640 by then.

Message 18 of 20
ESA2012
New Contributor

Re: UPDATE Closed!!!! USDA Loan approval with collections?

Wonderful story!
Message 19 of 20
NewCredit2014

Re: UPDATE Closed!!!! USDA Loan approval with collections?

This is a terrific story, and it gives me so much HOPE!

My credit scores are in the dumps right now, but have been making steady payments for about the last 2 years. I had a defaulted student loan (not of my doing) that I had to clear up through a rehabilitation program. I am hoping for a significant score increase so I can qualify for a mortgage. My landlords also just informed me that today after 5 years, they want to increase my rent payments. I think that its now or never for me!!

I am looking at USDA for Pennsylvania. Anyone out there have advice/ experience?

These stories of success are very inspirational! Here's to hoping! Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.