Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USDA 502 Direct loan through an approved application packager

tag
JDAugusta

USDA 502 Direct loan through an approved application packager

Before you start reading, this is a very long, very detailed post:

Our USDA 502 Direct loan process isn't quite the same as what I'm reading on these forums so I thought I'd share our experience.  The major distinction is that we're using a qualified approved USDA loan application packager instead of applying directly to a USDA office.  They application packagers is handling all of the legwork of the application and then sending it to USDA local office to complete and we're wondering what is different about the process.

My annual income as verified by employer 12/31/2013 is $28,936.80

My current credit scores are: EX: 721; EQ: 721; TU: 644

Monthly Debt: Student Loan 1% estimate $194; Auto Loan $163- all credit cards are $0 balance/0% utilization

To begin with, we decided to go through our local housing develepment office because they build and sell brand new construction homes specifically to low income families through a "revitalization" project in up and coming neighborhoods and they are a loan application packager/loan originator for USDA.  

We had our first meeting with the housing counselor/loan originator on 08/23/2013.  We found out the following: my wife couldn't be on the loan because her Ch. 7 bankruptcy was only 30 months out and we would be over income until our baby was born putting us into a larger family size and higher income limit.  I also needed to lower my DTI backend ratio and raise my credit scores: 

We set up an action plan with the counselor for when we returned after the baby was born or the money I received from VA GI BIll for school ended, whichever came first: 

-We needed to put a minimum of $2000 in savings for "seasoned" money for HOI, possible closing costs, and Earnest deposit. (moved from checking to savings and have not touched)

-We needed to payoff and/or refinance our auto loan because we just bought a 2013 Dodge Journey in April and its payment was putting us over the backend DTI ratio when taken into calculation with the 1% student loan estimate since my student loan is in 6 month grace period.

(GM Financial Auto Payment $465, refinanced to Capital One Auto $163 payment after my wife's dad paid off $13,000 with what would have been her portion of inheritance from her grandfather's estate)

-I needed to pay off my credit cards to 0% utilization to help give us some wiggle room with the DTI ratio.

($2500 Discover card limit, $1200 utilized, minimum payment $47; paid to $0 balance; all other accounts were already paid to $0 but had not yet showed up on the credit report).

-I had to be removed from being an authorized user on my wife's CC account so they didn't count her minimum payment against my DTI ratio. (completed as soon as we left the meeting)

- Complete homeowner's education course (completed 10/2013)

In the interim, the housing counselor put us in touch with the construction manager, which sent us specs for the next home they were building with an expected completion in 12/2013.  We really liked the home floorplan, the neighborhood is right where we want to be and bonus it's beside a major community park, best school district in the county, etc, but couldn't go under contract until our next meeting with the housing counselor since the home required we be within the income guidelines to even contract. 

Fast forward to the end of November: Our baby girl was born making us a family of 5 and now within the income guidelines.  All verifications were turned in by my wife to show that our full action plan had been completed and the housing counselor pulled a new credit report.  My scores were well within USDA streamline process guidelines now and my debt-to-income ratio was now where it needed to be.  My school income ended 12/13/2013 and we verified income ended.

12/18/2013 went to look at the completed home and put in the contract since we were thrilled (no kidding it's the perfect starter home for us) with the home.  The contract is for $165,500 purchase price with $5k closing assistance.  HOA fees $200/year and put down $500 earnest deposit.  We went in to complete the application and were told I had to pay off a medical bill.  Paid bill off, then came back in to sign all the final loan paperwork.  Turned in 2011 and 2012 tax returns with w2s, 4 months of paystubs (just because I had them available), landlord and employer contact information, and copy of driver's license.  I also gave them a check to pay for the USDA credit report fee as well.

12/20/13 we got an email..."After recalculation I show that you are eligible for the full RD amount of $157,600

Principle and interest shows $467.42 at a 1% rate, now keep in mind as it reaches the underwriter these

Numbers could change if they see something differently than we did.

But the ratios are good now with a back end of 39.34% (this has to do with credit debt owed and house payment)

So I would not use that Discover card while you are going through the loan process.

The back end number can be no more than 40%"

The remaining difference and any closing costs in excess of $5k will be covered by a second "silent" forgivable loan made by the housing authority or one of their community partners like neighborworks as what they referred to as a leveraged loan.

On 12/31/2013 after the housing counselor received my VOE, the application was submitted to the USDA approved loan originator FAHE/Just Choice Lending.  They sent a request back for verification of my wife's full 16 digit CC account number because the documentation we submitted that I was no longer an authorized user only showed the last 4 digits of each account number and the numbers on the credit report are the first 12 of the account numbers.  Finally got proof that the account number was the same, just 16 digits split 12 and 4.  

The Housing Counselor emailed to say that my file is now in the local USDA office as of 1/17/2014.  

Starting scores: August 23, 2013: EX: 603; EQ: 684; TU: 644
2 month improvement scores: Nov. 4, 2013: EX: 695; EQ: 719; TU; 628
4 month improvement scores: January 2014: EX: 721; EQ: 721; TU: 644
Current scores~ March 13, 2014: EX: 721; EQ: 721; TU: 669
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
rideswithchrist1
New Contributor

Re: Help USDA 502 Direct loan application packager

how goes your process? 

Did you get closed yet?

Message 2 of 16
JDAugusta

Unfortunately we still have not closed yet, but getting closer...

Updates to our process so far: USDA app and file completed 12/27/2013; sent to loan application packager for verification of completeness, they requested verification of account numbers for our credit accounts that were paid off (credit reports show only first 12 of 16 digits; statements only show last 4 of 16 digits).

1/17/14. File verified as complete and sent to local USDA processor.

1/23/14 USDA pulled new credit report

2/5/14. USDA processor asked for addendum to purchase agreement to extend contract closing from 60 days to 180 days (panic set in with worry money was exhausted for FY)

2/12/14 received request from our loan originator to come in today to do the loan paperwork for the secondary "silent/forgivable" mortgage to cover the difference between the USDA max loan amount for our area and the purchase price of our home and closing costs/loan originator fee

2/19/14 (today) met with our loan originator found out our loan application package/file had been assigned to a different USDA processor and was now "pretty much complete" on their end, USDA processor is mailing our funding commitment letter/notice of closing out today and we must sign and get it back to her immediately (within 15 days); we also completed our secondary mortgage application. Our loan originator said that USDA processor has already asked for approval to request the necessary title work to be completed by the attorney for closing and they anticipate closing by the end of March :-) we were also told today to get our homeowners insurance quotes completed and then contact the loan originator by the end of the week to get all of the pertinent information for who needs to be named as loan holders on the insurance policy

Got our insurance quotes done and emailed cheapest quote information to loan originator to verify coverage is sufficient. Now we just wait some more...for the commitment letter and to hear back about what we need for the homeowners insurance.

Will try to update again when we know more.

Message 3 of 16
JDAugusta

My USDA Direct Funding Commitment and Notification of Loan Closing letter arrived today, signed and mailed back.  So our USDA funds are definitely obligated.

The standard USDA conditions were included in the notice:  Homeowner's insurance (ready and waiting for the go ahead); title/deed documention (lawyer is working on); pest/termite certificate (soil treatment has been completed since it's a newly constructed home); appraisal/inspection report (USDA accepted the appraisal that was already completed for the secondary loan and final inspection is planned for next week); home buyers education course certificate (already completed and returned with our original file, but mailed copy back today with the funding notice).

The loan application packager said they have some more pre-closing things to do- like the final inspection next week once (they didn't have our water meter is set yet), and the secondary loan has to go through underwriting.  She said they'll get back to us soon about getting our insurance binder and giving us a final walk through date and closing date.  Hoping for things to wrap up quickly but for now we'll just hurry up and wait!  

Message 4 of 16
rideswithchrist1
New Contributor

Did you have to pay for 12 months of inssurance up front, or is that part of the closing costs?

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USDA 502 Direct loan through an approved application packager

i also used a usda approved packager , i finished all my application and paperwork Jan.13,2015.  my packet was tobe turned in Jan.16th.  I have called 3 times to  ask if my packet was turned in and all 3 times it was yes,  well the service center nor the underwriter could find it, even as of yeterday i called and again i was told that it had been turned in.  Today i found out it was still sitting on the supervisors desk for 2 and a 1/2 weeks, had not been turned over to anyone. the lady who put my package togethet told me privately that the supervisor had been out sick for 2 weeks and when she returned she looked at it and put it aside.  I have been sitting here for 2 weeks waiting, because i was told that they are processing the good people.  When I would have ever heard anything who knows.  I picked up my packet and drove 1 hour and 1/2 to the service center that it should have been mailed to.  now i get to sit and wait some more.  Very Frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

it is now March 23,2015 and I still am waiting to see if i can get usda direct loan approval.  I have been going at this since Dec. 2014 and i do not know if i am any closer.  I got a turn down letter due to my repayment ability.  I was confused because I definitely qualified for the subsidy.  But any way then the lady at usda service center told me to reapply because I think they missed something about the subsidy.  So last week I reapplied and now I am waiting again.  The  ladies are very nice and are being helpful but i am getting so frustrated.  Please let me know if anyone has had this experience.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Brenda, I'm sorry to hear that. Here's hoping this time around is better for you. 

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am finally approved and I have my letter, found a house and I have a contract.  Now my question is ,  do I have to pay for a full year of homewoners insurance up front? please let me know , I am now stressed out again.Thanks for any help

Message 9 of 16
Lemmus
Established Contributor

...normally full year + 2 mts in escrow ...but this should be included in your closing costs 

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.