Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USDA 502 Direct

tag
niquieg
New Contributor

USDA 502 Direct

Night,

I have a question about applying for my USDA 502 Direct I'm nervous about turning over the application because I have a 60 day late on my ACS education student loan from March 2013, really new hit.. This is the only blemish on my credit report, and currently my debt to credit ratio is high, should I attempt to challenge or goodwill the late fee before I apply? I'm using Housing Finance Authority to get the home and they stated my income $26,000 was too weak, but referred me to USDA so I'm just a bit discouraged as it is and seeking advise.

ETA: fico is 675

Thank You 

Bank of America $5000/ Alliant Credit Union $2000/ Amazon Chase $2000/ Capital One $1600/ First Premier $475
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
woozy
Contributor

Re: USDA 502 Direct

One 60 day won't kill you at 675, though you should make every effort to get it removed. You want to get a 680, though. They will give you a pass on a ding, but 680 is a happy-dance place for them. There's a program called Streamline that you can get @680, which reduces your paperwork load, too.

Your more compelling problem is your utilization. They will give you X payment at your income. Sooo...they are going to take that payment, and REDUCE it by all the other payments you have! At the 29/41 rule, you have very little wiggle room if you don't want one of those TinyHouses. BUT, it will still not be an impressive house, but it will be yours, and you can improve it in any manner that you wish after closing. I personally am a fan of biting the bullet and getting a better piece of land and a smaller house.

Is HFA Florida? Is there a reason your doing that, and is it free to you? If it isn't free, don't do it! Any Chimp can do USDA Direct paperwork.

Good news parts for you:

The lower your income, the easier to get---they spend 40% on VLI.

You can easily obtain a 680 by reducing utilization because your score is already good.

You MIGHT be eligible for a special interest rate program.

Bad news parts:

You MUST pay down cards.

The Ding needs to go buh-bye if possible.

Everyone who wants to do this you need to READ the USDA Direct field office manual!

Did you guys know that you can build new with USDA Direct, the construction loan part is handled between the USDA and the approved contractor, and the money is paid with an arrangement between them? Not like anything else we are used to.

Message 2 of 3
niquieg
New Contributor

Re: USDA 502 Direct

Thank you woozy for your reply I received an eligibility certificate for $150,221 even with the ding and I'm bringing my utilization down. The problem I ran into was the my student loan is in an IBR with $0.00 repayment and they couldn't enter 0 into the calculations so now I make payment just under $100 and provided them with the receipts.

I'm in the market for a tiny house because they only allow 1,300 sq Ft for a 3 bedroom. I can live with that however.

Outside of credit pulling fees it is free. Thank you very much for the information on the USDA field office manual

Bank of America $5000/ Alliant Credit Union $2000/ Amazon Chase $2000/ Capital One $1600/ First Premier $475
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.