Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USDA Direct Pre Application Questions

tag
maluba
Regular Contributor

Re: USDA Direct Pre Application Questions

Just adding that current TU score is a 640 and we just paid down our CC so it should be even higher by the time we get ready to submit. 

Starting Score: 588
Current Score: 610
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 14
DanTheMan77
Regular Contributor

@maluba wrote:

What is the USDA's stance on debts? Is it the same as the FHA's guidelines discussed here? I would have called back and asked but they were closed today Smiley Sad

I feel so overwhelmed by the process. 

@maluba wrote:

One from Midland at slightly below $4000 and another from Asset Acceptance for less than $1500. These are about four years old. 

I don't think you mean "debts". These are collection accounts. Unfortunately I can't answer your question, but maybe that will help others help you better. I believe that someone else mentioned in a post that if your mid-score is above 640 and the accounts are more than a year old, you won't need to pay them - but I'm not certain.

Message 12 of 14
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@DanTheMan77 wrote:

@maluba wrote:

What is the USDA's stance on debts? Is it the same as the FHA's guidelines discussed here? I would have called back and asked but they were closed today Smiley Sad

I feel so overwhelmed by the process. 

@maluba wrote:

One from Midland at slightly below $4000 and another from Asset Acceptance for less than $1500. These are about four years old. 

I don't think you mean "debts". These are collection accounts. Unfortunately I can't answer your question, but maybe that will help others help you better. I believe that someone else mentioned in a post that if your mid-score is above 640 and the accounts are more than a year old, you won't need to pay them - but I'm not certain.

Yeah I am not certain either, as the Direct program has different guidelines than Guaranteed version.  For Guaranteed the credit score tiers are 580 & below shouldn't have any owing collections, 581-679 can have them but supporting documentation is needed, and 680+ just an explanation is needed.  From your score it looks like worst case is you'd have to pay them, but I'd really recommend you get the straight answer from USDA.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 13 of 14
J_G
Regular Contributor

That is correct the higher your score the more they will overlook and let slide. That is the same with FHA as well. I was denied a couple of weeks ago with a 606 middle score and was pre approved yesterday with a 630 middle score. There is a underwriting paragraph on the USDA website that goes into detail but it pretty much says if your score is under 620 you will have a hard time getting approved with collections, judgments, etc. Good luck
7/1/13 - EQ = 593 TU = 578 EXP = 573 FICO
8/11/13 - EQ = 600 TU = 590 EXP = 603 FICO
10/1/13 - EQ = 611 TU = 689 EXP = 605 FICO
12/4/13 - EQ = 625 TU = 648 EXP = 604
Lender Pull 2/18/14 - EQ = 630 TU = 678 EXP = 594
Lender Pull 2/28/14 (EQ 640) (TU 660) (EX 655) Rapid re-score =)
9/30/14 - EQ = 660 TU = 710 EXP = 669
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.