Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USDA Direct Rural Loan (502 Direct) for very low or low income

tag
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: USDA Direct Rural Loan (502 Direct) for very low or low income

StihlBilly wrote:The question is, what would happen when I returned to work later on?  How much tracking do they do one year after the loan closes?  Five years?  Ten?  Do you need to report income for the rest of your life?  For example, even if I never returned to work, my wife is on a set, graduated payscale, and would eventually surpass the income cap.  What happens then?  

No, the income & other qualifying conditions are required for the loan approval & closing. No income reporting is required after closing.

Message 81 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

@StihlBilly wrote:

The question is, what would happen when I returned to work later on?  How much tracking do they do one year after the loan closes?  Five years?  Ten?  Do you need to report income for the rest of your life?  For example, even if I never returned to work, my wife is on a set, graduated payscale, and would eventually surpass the income cap.  What happens then?  

The only time yearly reporting is necessary for USDA Section 502 Direct loans is if you have a payment subsidy. According to p. 3 of this USDA handbook pdf:

Each year borrowers receiving payment subsidies are required to report on household income, expenses, and composition. This enables the Servicer to determine whether the borrower should continue to receive a subsidy and the amount of subsidy to be provided. Borrowers who receive payment subsidies must notify the Agency whenever an adult member of the household changes or obtains employment, the household composition changes, or if income increases by more than 10 percent. A borrower whose income decreases may report the change and ask the Servicer to determine whether the decrease entitles the borrower to additional payment subsidies.

Message 82 of 117
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Thanks for clarifying that, LeavingTheCity.

Message 83 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

No problem, Dave. I was just rummaging around for official word on the rental situation mentioned earlier too. I seem to recall reading in the handbook that the restriction of not a having safe & decent housing only applies to owning homes, not renting, which would completely erase that poster's need to prove they're over-crowded.

Close enough! Page 285 of this USDA handbook states: 

The Section 502 program is intended to help those who do not currently own adequate housing buy, build, relocate, rehabilitate, or improve a property to use as a permanent residence.

Message 84 of 117
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No problem, Dave. I was just rummaging around for official word on the rental situation mentioned earlier too. I seem to recall reading in the handbook that the restriction of not a having safe & decent housing only applies to owning homes, not renting, which would completely erase that poster's need to prove they're over-crowded.

Close enough! Page 285 of this USDA handbook states: 

The Section 502 program is intended to help those who do not currently own adequate housing buy, build, relocate, rehabilitate, or improve a property to use as a permanent residence.

Yeah, I thought you generally not allowed to currently own a home. I submitted my pre-qual app requesting that it be based on after my current home sells. Been 2 weeks, haven't heard anything yet, but I take that as hopeful - a "re-apply after your home sells" would have been a fast response. .

And the rental situation was that they're currently renting a 2 story townhouse and because of back pain & arthritis they can barely make it down the stairs, pretty sure that qualifies as not having "safe and adequate housing" - they could fall & injure themselves, and with those medical/health conditions a 2 story home is not adequate housing.

Message 85 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:
And the rental situation was that they're currently renting a 2 story townhouse and because of back pain & arthritis they can barely make it down the stairs, pretty sure that qualifies as not having "safe and adequate housing" - they could fall & injure themselves, and with those medical/health conditions a 2 story home is not adequate housing.

It's a non-issue though. They rent, so it doesn't matter how good or bad their home is, how unhealthy or disabled they are-- they don't have (own) adequate housing, so they don't have to convince anyone that it's inadequate. With so much paperwork going into these loans, it's nice knowing they have one less thing to prove. 

Best of luck to you in selling your house quickly, Dave! I look forward to reading your success story soon!

Message 86 of 117
StihlBilly
Contributor

sweetpea3829 wrote:

If your mid-score is above 640, they are much more likely to "forgive" layers of risk.  For example...my husband and I had a BK in 2007, foreclosed on the first investment property that same year.  Rode through on the second investment property (we were residing in one of the rental units) but stopped paying in Aug of 2010 because they refused to entertain a modification request.  The refusal was because we'd never been late on that mortgage and therefore, in their opinion, were not at risk of being in default. 

So...we have a foreclosure and a bankruptcy that is outside of the mandatory 3 year seasoning period.  We have a discharged mortgage that is currently in default and we were upfront with USDA and informed them that we were walking away from that property.

We had to quit-claim my husband's name off the title of our defaulted property to make him eligibile to apply for USDA Direct, but once that was done, with his mid-score being above 640, they were willing to overlook the defaulted discharged mortgage. 

I don't think sweetpea is still around, but I'd be curious to hear more about this.  Does anyone know if the same might apply to the guaranteed loan.  We are in a similar situation with a discharged mortgage and a bank that refuses to work with us because we've always (even through the BK) paid on time.  Because we're discharged and have 680 scores would they overlook a default, or would most guaranteed lenders say no way?  

Lowes $17K - Capital One Quicksilver Rewards $10K

TU - 704 / EQ - 716
Message 87 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SEND IN YOUR PRE-QUALIFICATION APPLICATION.........This info might help someone who is confident that they will get approved and wants to speed up the wait time, also I believe once you senthis app in...once you have provided all required documentation it buts a time frame  on Rural Housing Direct,  maybe ...30...60 days sorry I cant remmember exactly.

CHAPTER 3: APPLICATION PROCESSING 3.1 INTRODUCTION This chapter describes the process of accepting and managing applications, up to the point that an applicant is selected for processing. This includes pre-qualifying potential applicants, taking and reviewing applications, and selecting applications for processing. SECTION 1: PRE-QUALIFICATION 3.2 OVERVIEW Pre-qualification involves using unverified information to evaluate the likelihood that a potential applicant, someone who is interested in the program but has yet to submit an application for assistance, would be program eligible. The results of pre-qualification are not binding and will not hinder the submission of an application. A potential applicant with possible obstacles to program eligibility may submit an application and a potential applicant who appears program eligible is not guaranteed that a loan will be made. Pre-qualification, which is strongly encouraged but not required, serves as an opportunity to:  Explain the program and the application process;  Determine the likelihood of eligibility based on income and other factors;  Calculate the likely maximum loan amount; and  Encourage the early completion of homeownership education for maximum benefit. The Loan Originator should make clear to the potential applicant the purposes of prequalification, that the pre-qualification results are not binding, and pre-qualification is different than the submission of a formal application. 3.3 PROCEDURES FOR PRE-QUALIFICATION The Loan Originator should provide consistent pre-qualification counseling __________________________________________________________________________________ 3-1 (01-23-03) SPECIAL PN Revised (02-26-13) PN 460 Hi I lCHAPTER 3: APPLICATION PROCESSING HB-1-3550 Paragraph 3.3 Procedures for Pre-Qualification for all potential applicants. Refer to Attachment 3-F for guidance on how to address negative pre-qualification results. Again, the pre-qualification process does not apply to someone who has already submitted an application. Submission of an application triggers disclosure and official Agency action requirements. A. Describe the Program During the course of the pre-qualification review, the Loan Originator should provide as much information as possible about how the program works. Although this information will be repeated during the course of the application and loan approval process, it is important for the potential applicant to begin to understand how the program works and the steps that will be required to obtain a loan. B. Gathering Basic Eligibility and Financial Information Pre-qualification provides an opportunity to consider whether the potential applicant appears to meet the basic eligibility requirements described in detail in Chapter 4. The Loan Originator should enter the information provided by the potential applicant in UniFi as well as their observations on the potential applicant’s diversity (race, ethnic group, etc.) if reliable, register the pre-qualification following the instructions in the DLOS Training Manual, and counsel the potential applicant about the following requirements and restrictions.  Creditworthiness. The Loan Originator should advise potential applicants about the Agency’s credit history standards including the ramifications of delinquency on a federal debt. To aid in this discussion, the Loan Originator may order an in-file credit report provided the potential applicant has signed Form RD 3550-1, Authorization to Release Information. The Loan Originator can also check the Department of Housing and Urban Development’s online Credit Alert Interactive Voice Response System (CAIVRS) and MortgageServ’s Borrower Cross Reference screen (Customer/XREF/Social Security).  Citizen or qualified alien. The Loan Originator can ask potential applicants about their citizenship status and, for qualified aliens, inform them of the documentation that will be required when an application is submitted.  Identity Information. The Loan Originator should explain to potential applicants the documentation required to verify identity when an application is submitted.  Requirement to occupy the dwelling. The Loan Originator should explain that the dwelling must serve as a borrower’s primary residence, and confirm that the potential applicant intends to use the loan

Message 88 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

3.1 INTRODUCTION This chapter describes the process of accepting and managing applications, up to the point that an applicant is selected for processing. This includes pre-qualifying potential applicants, taking and reviewing applications, and selecting applications for processing. SECTION 1: PRE-QUALIFICATION 3.2 OVERVIEW Pre-qualification involves using unverified information to evaluate the likelihood that a potential applicant, someone who is interested in the program but has yet to submit an application for assistance, would be program eligible. The results of pre-qualification are not binding and will not hinder the submission of an application. A potential applicant with possible obstacles to program eligibility may submit an application and a potential applicant who appears program eligible is not guaranteed that a loan will be made. Pre-qualification, which is strongly encouraged but not required, serves as an opportunity to:  Explain the program and the application process;  Determine the likelihood of eligibility based on income and other factors;  Calculate the likely maximum loan amount; and  Encourage the early completion of homeownership education for maximum benefit. The Loan Originator should make clear to the potential applicant the purposes of prequalification, that the pre-qualification results are not binding, and pre-qualification is different than the submission of a formal application. 3.3 PROCEDURES FOR PRE-QUALIFICATION The Loan Originator should provide consistent pre-qualification counseling __________________________________________________________________________________ 3-1 (01-23-03) SPECIAL PN Revised (02-26-13) PN 460 CHAPTER 3: APPLICATION PROCESSING HB-1-3550 Paragraph 3.3 Procedures for Pre-Qualification for all potential applicants. Refer to Attachment 3-F for guidance on how to address negative pre-qualification results. Again, the pre-qualification process does not apply to someone who has already submitted an application. Submission of an application triggers disclosure and official Agency action requirements. A. Describe the Program During the course of the pre-qualification review, the Loan Originator should provide as much information as possible about how the program works. Although this information will be repeated during the course of the application and loan approval process, it is important for the potential applicant to begin to understand how the program works and the steps that will be required to obtain a loan. B. Gathering Basic Eligibility and Financial Information Pre-qualification provides an opportunity to consider whether the potential applicant appears to meet the basic eligibility requirements described in detail in Chapter 4. The Loan Originator should enter the information provided by the potential applicant in UniFi as well as their observations on the potential applicant’s diversity (race, ethnic group, etc.) if reliable, register the pre-qualification following the instructions in the DLOS Training Manual, and counsel the potential applicant about the following requirements and restrictions.  Creditworthiness. The Loan Originator should advise potential applicants about the Agency’s credit history standards including the ramifications of delinquency on a federal debt. To aid in this discussion, the Loan Originator may order an in-file credit report provided the potential applicant has signed Form RD 3550-1, Authorization to Release Information. The Loan Originator can also check the Department of Housing and Urban Development’s online Credit Alert Interactive Voice Response System (CAIVRS) and MortgageServ’s Borrower Cross Reference screen (Customer/XREF/Social Security).  Citizen or qualified alien. The Loan Originator can ask potential applicants about their citizenship status and, for qualified aliens, inform them of the documentation that will be required when an application is submitted.  Identity Information. The Loan Originator should explain to potential applicants the documentation required to verify identity when an application is submitted.  Requirement to occupy the dwelling. The Loan Originator should explain that the dwelling must serve as a borrower’s primary residence, and confirm that the potential applicant intends to use the loan

Message 89 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SEND IN YOUR PRE-QUALIFICATION APPLICATION.........This info might help someone who is confident that they will get approved and wants to speed up the wait time, also I believe once you senthis app in...once you have provided all required documentation it buts a time frame  on Rural Housing Direct,  maybe ...30...60 days sorry I cant remmember exactly.

3.1 INTRODUCTION This chapter describes the process of accepting and managing applications, up to the point that an applicant is selected for processing. This includes pre-qualifying potential applicants, taking and reviewing applications, and selecting applications for processing. SECTION 1: PRE-QUALIFICATION 3.2 OVERVIEW Pre-qualification involves using unverified information to evaluate the likelihood that a potential applicant, someone who is interested in the program but has yet to submit an application for assistance, would be program eligible. The results of pre-qualification are not binding and will not hinder the submission of an application. A potential applicant with possible obstacles to program eligibility may submit an application and a potential applicant who appears program eligible is not guaranteed that a loan will be made. Pre-qualification, which is strongly encouraged but not required, serves as an opportunity to:  Explain the program and the application process;  Determine the likelihood of eligibility based on income and other factors;  Calculate the likely maximum loan amount; and  Encourage the early completion of homeownership education for maximum benefit. The Loan Originator should make clear to the potential applicant the purposes of prequalification, that the pre-qualification results are not binding, and pre-qualification is different than the submission of a formal application. 3.3 PROCEDURES FOR PRE-QUALIFICATION The Loan Originator should provide consistent pre-qualification counseling __________________________________________________________________________________ 3-1 (01-23-03) SPECIAL PN Revised (02-26-13) PN 460 CHAPTER 3: APPLICATION PROCESSING HB-1-3550 Paragraph 3.3 Procedures for Pre-Qualification for all potential applicants. Refer to Attachment 3-F for guidance on how to address negative pre-qualification results. Again, the pre-qualification process does not apply to someone who has already submitted an application. Submission of an application triggers disclosure and official Agency action requirements. A. Describe the Program During the course of the pre-qualification review, the Loan Originator should provide as much information as possible about how the program works. Although this information will be repeated during the course of the application and loan approval process, it is important for the potential applicant to begin to understand how the program works and the steps that will be required to obtain a loan. B. Gathering Basic Eligibility and Financial Information Pre-qualification provides an opportunity to consider whether the potential applicant appears to meet the basic eligibility requirements described in detail in Chapter 4. The Loan Originator should enter the information provided by the potential applicant in UniFi as well as their observations on the potential applicant’s diversity (race, ethnic group, etc.) if reliable, register the pre-qualification following the instructions in the DLOS Training Manual, and counsel the potential applicant about the following requirements and restrictions.  Creditworthiness. The Loan Originator should advise potential applicants about the Agency’s credit history standards including the ramifications of delinquency on a federal debt. To aid in this discussion, the Loan Originator may order an in-file credit report provided the potential applicant has signed Form RD 3550-1, Authorization to Release Information. The Loan Originator can also check the Department of Housing and Urban Development’s online Credit Alert Interactive Voice Response System (CAIVRS) and MortgageServ’s Borrower Cross Reference screen (Customer/XREF/Social Security).  Citizen or qualified alien. The Loan Originator can ask potential applicants about their citizenship status and, for qualified aliens, inform them of the documentation that will be required when an application is submitted.  Identity Information. The Loan Originator should explain to potential applicants the documentation required to verify identity when an application is submitted.  Requirement to occupy the dwelling. The Loan Originator should explain that the dwelling must serve as a borrower’s primary residence, and confirm that the potential applicant intends to use the loan

Message 90 of 117
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.