Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USDA Guar and Income limits

tag
beanie7132
Frequent Contributor

USDA Guar and Income limits

I know about the income guidelines - we are currently under contract for a new build and are using USDA guaranteed. We sign disclosures with the lender tomorrow. 

My question is this..... my household income fits just nicely right under the USDA income limit for the area we are purchasing in. What happens if after we close, I get a significant increase in pay that sets our household income above the limit? 

What happens then.... they dont come back and take the house or penalize me or anything do they?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: USDA Guar and Income limits

Nope, it's only the amount that is verified at the time you get the loan.  Be careful if you are going to get a future raise and you already know it though, a verification of employment form will be completed by your employer and it asks when your next anticipated raise is and for how much... if they put anything in there, then the eligible income will be the amount including that next raise.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 10
beanie7132
Frequent Contributor

How far out would be safe?

I ask because i was offered a promotion and significant pay increase. Employer knows about my mortgage and that i cant take an increase right now. So they would hold back the increase and promotion until after i close......
Message 3 of 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

If your employer confirms you will be getting a pay raise at any time in the future it'll be used in the eligible income calculation.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Message 4 of 10
beanie7132
Frequent Contributor

now it seems I am in a pickle. grrrrrr. 

Thank you Shane!

Message 5 of 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Well ask your employer's HR department what they'd verify.  If your raise isn't official yet then I don't see how they'd verify a specific date you'd be getting it.

Message 6 of 10
beanie7132
Frequent Contributor

Thats the problem.... It will be official in the next week or so. Technically, I was offered the promotion, and told them I cannot have a change in payrate until after I close. 

However, they are working on the compensation package now to present to me for acceptance of the position and rate of pay. They know I cant take the monies now, and they agreed to hold off until after I close..... I am just worried about portion of the VOE form you mentioned earlier. 

Id essentially be asking my employer to lie......

Message 7 of 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

That is a conundrum then.

Message 8 of 10
beanie7132
Frequent Contributor

Found out I should be ok. As long as I do not accept the monetary offer until AFTER closing, then there is no paperwork for HR. So, technically, no lying. 

feeling much better.

Message 9 of 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Awesome!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.