Regular Contributor
sharpie

USDA Guaranteed Questions

[ Edited ]

I just called my bank (small local bank) with questions regarding getting a guaranteed USDA mortgage.  She said I have to have 3% down and 6 months in reserves.  I have gone on the assumption, from this (and the USDA) website that this is NOT the case.  This bank does not even do FHA loans, so I doubt she is mixing the two up.

She also said I have to have 3 years of tradelines and a 680 score.

I read on here about people getting great mortgages every day, with lower scores than me and foreclosures and bankruptcies, etc. and every time I call anyplace nothing I am told matches up with what I read here.

I don't want to assume this loan officer doesn't know what she is talking about, but from everything I read everywhere, it sure seems that way.

Any suggestions of somebody in mid-Michigan that I can go to?

Established Member
Nati

Re: USDA Guaranteed Questions

Without going into full detail I can say that they are misinformed. I didnt have any thing that you mention they say is required and I got approved. Could be different per state so I can only speak for certain in Ohio

Starting scores 5/29/12 via 53 identity alert
EX-676 TU-667 EQ-665
Todays scores 11/16/2012 via 53 identity alert
EX-721 TU-719 EQ-723
Valued Member
whipster

They are putting their overlays on the loan, which means they have tougher standards. Look around, you will find better.

New Contributor
DCole3g

I would definitely try looking elsewhere.  These do not sound like the general rules for the USDA Guaranteed Loan.  I had looked into trying to get this loan a few months ago and none of the information that you are describing sounds familiar.

Regular Contributor
FLAJenn

Here's a link to a PDF I found for approval guidelines for USDA. Hope that helps you and anyone else!   

USDA Approval Guidelines

Valued Contributor
beb86

Thing to remember is just like FHA only requires a 580 score many lenders will put there own requirements on these too. So if the lender says the need a 680 than that lender needs a 680 you can and should shop around. Just be weary not to jump into something if your not ready.

ccpics2.jpg
Established Contributor
CreditCrusader

I agree with the growing consensus...you need to find a different lender. Most who work USDA guaranteed loans only require a 620-640 median FICO score. 680, to me, seems excessive given the fact that a USDA guaranteed loan is virtually risk-free for the lender.

I'm Spartacus!

hr>Starting Score: EQ 546, EX 547, TU 580
Current Scores (lender): EQ 725 , EX FICO 720, TU 737 FICO scores>
Goal Score: 750
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+