Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USDA Income Question

tag
cracksmeup
Regular Contributor

USDA Income Question

I was wondering if the income eligibility is based on current pay stubs or prior years tax return?  I'm pretty sure it would make the difference between us qualifying for it or not. I wanted to ask a lender but not many lenders in my area seem to know much about the rules. I live in a suburb of Philadelphia.  Any ideas?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MitchL

Re: USDA Income Question

From my experience in trying to get USDA loan, it's both.

They check your prior year tax returns but they'll also look at current pay stubs.

Between my wife and I our income from tax returns showed we qualified but prior to closing they verified our stubs and did the math to project what we would make by end of the year and said we were over.  Had  to change to FHA loan.  When we filed our taxes after we went through closing, we were under the income threshold by about $300.

Message 2 of 3
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Re: USDA Income Question

It is always worst case for the borrower - if you made more last year they will use the taxes - if you are making more now they will use the current pay

For loan purposes it would be current income but for eligibility (household income) it is the higher of the two

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.