Established Member
Katytee

USDA Loans- Barns/Structures??

We're currently offering on a home that includes 5 acres and planned on using a USDA loan to help us with the down payment.

The unfortunate thing is that the property also has a "barn", or a medium sized metal building I guess they used to put horses in. No stalls or actual fencing inside, it's just the empty metal building with a dirt floor.

We're afraid to go any further with our offers and bidding as I recently was told that USDA does not cover barns or any sort of buildings on the property. Has anyone found a way to get around this? Is there any leniency?

Thank you for any help or advice you could give!

Starting: 535 (EQ)
Current: 638 (EQ) FICO 9/2012
Goal: 640 - Mortgage here I come!
Regular Contributor
goodygoody

Re: USDA Loans- Barns/Structures??

I would call USDA - I wonder if they will cover it if the barn is not the only structure on the property?  I know, also, that the acreage and property need to be within the norm for the area.  So if everyone in the area where you want to buy have only .25 acre properties, 5 acres might not work for USDA, but if everyone has 4-5 acres it would work.  Do you have a contact at your USDA you can ask these questions?  Seems like they could advise you...because from what I understand, USDA differs depending on the state and even county where you're buying...

Regular Contributor
sharpie

Re: USDA Loans- Barns/Structures??

Are you doing Direct or Guaranteed?  I just read about this tonight - the issue is with Direct only.  At least where I am.  Guaranteed has no such requirements.  But just call your local office, they should be able to tell you.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+