Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USDA and PMI

tag
leppy2
Contributor

USDA and PMI

Is there a certain amount of years before the PMI can be dropped from your mortgage? Or is it a percentage?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
custombusa
Established Member

Re: USDA and PMI

i think its .4% per year so 100,000 would be 400 per year or $33 per month.  Im pretty sure it stays for the life of the loan but its .4% of the principal balance each year so it should come down a little bit each year

Message 2 of 10
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Currently on FHA loans, the PMI drops off when your loan balance is 78% of the original appraised value and it is no sooner than after you make 60 payments. From what the other posted stated, it sounds like USDA is different? The FHA rules are changing within the next year to require PMI for the life of the loan. Those who close before the new laws take effect are grandfathered.

Leppy, when I signed my loan paperwork, there was a mortgage insurance disclosure form that I had to sign stating that I understood the timeframe that PMI was required on my loan. If your docs are in an online system, I would look over them to see if you signed something similar.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 3 of 10
Sunshine85
Frequent Contributor

USDA MI stays with for the life of the loan. The good thing is that the USDA MI is significantly less than FHA MI- given the proposed changes re: FHA MI staying for the life of the loan, it seems like going USDA will save you money in the long run.

Message 4 of 10
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

FHA MIP has to be paid a minimum of 60 months as stated and every year the payment is also a little lower since it is based off the principal balance. Also it can be dropped after paying the required 60 months once the LTV reaches 78% of the original selling price or appraised value, whichever was lower at the time of purchase. It takes several more years of payments to reach the 78% LTV ratio if making just your required monthly payments.

USDA is cheaper, but as also mentioned it is for the life of the loan, and payments as stated also get lower as your principal balance becomes lower.

If you plan to just make the minimum payment required, in my opinion USDA is the better way to go.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 5 of 10
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Interesting! So if I read correctly, each year the mortgage insurance is less as it is based on the current principal owed? If true, that makes me even more happy as I was unaware of that! :-)
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 6 of 10
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Yes it decreases over time. It is all based on principal balance.
Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 7 of 10
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Thank you. I thought it remained the same until the balance was at least 78% of the original value. That's good news! Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 10
leppy2
Contributor

I agree movingforward (was going to shorten your name to MF, lol, but...). That is great news! Sadly, the annual fee for usda stays the life of the mortgage.
Message 9 of 10
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Annual fee? What is that in relation to PITI (Principal, Interest, Taxes, and Insurance)? Is that an additional charge on top of the mortgage insurance or is it wrapped into the total paid per month for mortgage insurance?
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.