Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USDA loan process

tag
Freakshow77
Valued Member

USDA loan process

Hoping someone can walk me through this process. I Finaly got my scores up to 650 (thanks to the guidance I received from myfico) and my realitor suggested I go with the USDA program in Ohio. They submitted all my paper work and documents to try and get me pre approved and it's been about a month still no pre approval yet. How long does this take? And what exactly is the process after should I get approved?
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
ashivley
Established Member

Re: USDA loan process

I would guess it would depend on which type of USDA loan you go with. I used the Guarantee loan and it took 2 days with the bank to get pre approved. And then 4 weeks to get approval from the USDA once our appraisal/inspections were completed.

Message 2 of 28
Freakshow77
Valued Member

I think Im doing the direct. Because of my bankruptcy they said that's my only option right now
Message 3 of 28
ashivley
Established Member

So you didn't go though a bank? I don't know for sure how long it takes to get direct approval but I have heard months. 

Message 4 of 28
Freakshow77
Valued Member

Yea a bank submitted my app to the USDA for me about a month ago once my scores were where they needed to be. Now they said I have to wait for the certificate of pre approval to come to me.
Message 5 of 28
Freakshow77
Valued Member

Ok update ...
I found out it was the direct that I was going for and got denied due to over income limit. So basically they said my only option Is to go for the gaurentee loan. Which I can't do for another year!

What is the difference in the 2? Is the gaurentee loan thru a regular bank? I don't understand it
Message 6 of 28
foofighter74
Established Contributor

Yes.  The guaranteed loans are secured through approved local lenders.  Direct loans come from a branch of the  USDA itself.

Message 7 of 28
JackR1182
Established Member

Just closed on my USDA the 20th of last month.  From what my realtor said, I had one of the best loan officers in the business.  He did a quick pre-qual on my income (74k) and credit (640 at the time) and ran me through GUS when we were under contract.

It literally only took 3 weeks from contract to be approved (2 weeks for bank and USDA underwriting).  From what my realtor said it's normally a 6-8 week process.  Basically they asked for paychecks and w-2s, tax returns (they did a request for tax returns also).  I did the formal application, then they typed it up for me to resign with all the other paperwork (3 days).  I signed all the typed up application on a Friday, I received back approval from underwriting the following week on wednesday, and approval from USDA 2 weeks from the app date.

My loan was 3.25% fixed on a 30 year.  I rolled the guarantee fee into my loan, seller paid closing costs, and I came out of pocket about $1k.

What other questions do you have?

Starting Score: 630 3/25/13
Current Score: 665
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 28
JackR1182
Established Member

Forgot about the question between the 2:

1. The USDA RD loan is through the federal government.  You have to have very minimal income (basically poverty line).

2. The USDA RD guaranteed loan is through a bank.  You can only be at 115% of the median income for the area, and it's financed through a bank, but guaranteed by USDA.  It's a 100% loan meaning if the seller pays closing costs, you don't have to pay a percentage in out of pocket.  There is a 2% guarantee fee (if I remember correctly).

Starting Score: 630 3/25/13
Current Score: 665
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 28
Freakshow77
Valued Member

How much were you approved for? I know with direct they said I would have been approved up to 180k. Is it the same with garunteed? Or is there not any max limit?
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.