cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USDA mortgage application, Fannie Mae HomePath property, and failed septic drainfield

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USDA mortgage application, Fannie Mae HomePath property, and failed septic drainfield

Does anyone know if USDA will approve a mortgage on a Fannie Mae home of which the drainfield just failed inspection?

Our file has been bank (SunTrust) approved, just waiting to hear back from USDA.  It's been with  them a week.
Septic inspection was just done Friday, got results today.

I know Fannie Mae usually doesn't do repairs on a home, such as roof, etc ... but would the drainfield be an exception since it's an environmental issue?

My husband is a plumber, so we can easily get the issue fixed after closing.  But I'm worried USDA won't even approve it because of the failed inspection.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
beb86
Valued Contributor

Re: USDA mortgage application, Fannie Mae HomePath property, and failed septic drainfield

A failed drain field can be reversed but it is a pain in the a$$

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USDA mortgage application, Fannie Mae HomePath property, and failed septic drainfield

It's not the repair that's of concern.  We can get that taken care of easily.  Obviously we don't want to do that prior to closing, though ...

But since the home is a Fannie Mae property there is no "seller" to do the repair.  And I'm concerned about the actual approval of the mortgage from USDA with the failed drainfield.

Message 3 of 5
andycloses

You perhaps shouldn't have had the leach field inspected if it was not a major concern to you. Just curious as to who you were told required such a test and who told the septic inspector they needed to do such a test?

A  dye test inspection on a licensed septic professional's letterhead indicating that the septic system appears to be functioning normally, and All Parties could have likely gone on their merry way to the closing table.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The lender (SunTrust) requested a full septic inspection.  Pump the tank, inspect tank, lines, and drainfield.

Also, in USDA's guidelines they require a full septic inspection.

We didn't have the option to decline the inspect.  We are in an area where my husband does not have the contacts to a licensed septic contractor, so we had to use a local company.  We're trying to get someone else to reinspect as there are questions about the integrity of the company that we ended up using.
UGH.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.