cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USDA vs. FHA

tag
emmademma13

USDA vs. FHA

My fiance and I are looking to purchase our first house.  We have a couple of questions that we are looking to answer before we go in to a mortgage guy, just so we know what to expect.  The area that we have found a place we like is USDA land so they have the USDA loan program going for the area. 

So with the house price in the neighborhood being about 190000, do people really qualify for USDA loans with that kind of price with the income limits that the USDA has set?  How could you possibly pay a mortgage like that?  We are slightly above the income limit (at 85,000 combined).  Could just one of us apply for the mortgage?  We both have decent credit (high 600s to low 700s across the board). I make more than he does.  I have about 500/mo in debts not including my car, which I have about 3 payments left on and could pay off right now if needed. 

FHA is an option for us, but we'd need a downpayment for that and if we could do this without having to deplete our savings, that would be preferable.  Thanks for any insight you may have. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USDA vs. FHA

USDA uses income from anyone who is going to live in the house, so it doesnt matter if 1 applies or both, both incomes will be used.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

The above is correct and if you have more than $5,000 in assets, the USDA can require you to use a portion of that for downpayment anyway. It looks like FHA will be the loan product for you, which is still a good thing. Best of luck to you!

Message 3 of 4
needamortgage

Of course you can qualify with th USDA limits. if you make 70k a year and have have no debt you can qualify for around 300k. The key is having no debt.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.