Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USDA - what income counts?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USDA - what income counts?

We've decided to buy using the USDA guaranteed loan. My work situation is unique. I get paid a taxable hourly rate. I also get paid a nontaxable stipend since I travel for meals/housing/incidentals that is added directly to my paycheck. I spoke to one loan officer at our bank and she said we were under the income limit because the USDA only counts taxable income - not my stipends. Ended up having to change to a different loan officer at the same bank and she says that we exceed the income limit because the USDA DOES count stipends in annual income. We're getting conflicting info from the same bank. The second loan officer has emailed the USDA to clarify but she's out of town until next week. Anyone have experience with this?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
kc0039
Established Contributor

Re: USDA - what income counts?

@Anonymous wrote:
We've decided to buy using the USDA guaranteed loan. My work situation is unique. I get paid a taxable hourly rate. I also get paid a nontaxable stipend since I travel for meals/housing/incidentals that is added directly to my paycheck. I spoke to one loan officer at our bank and she said we were under the income limit because the USDA only counts taxable income - not my stipends. Ended up having to change to a different loan officer at the same bank and she says that we exceed the income limit because the USDA DOES count stipends in annual income. We're getting conflicting info from the same bank. The second loan officer has emailed the USDA to clarify but she's out of town until next week. Anyone have experience with this?

Give me until tomorrow afternoon. Going to another USDA presentation and I'll ask this question Smiley Happy

Licensed in IL
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!
Message 3 of 7
kc0039
Established Contributor

If it's part of gross wages we'll count it. If it isn't part of gross wages, we won't count it.

Licensed in IL
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just for clarification - on my pay stubs my hourly rate is included on gross wages, stipends are not, they're under deductions. So, they would not be included nor counted towards the income limit. Is that correct?
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm doing USDA guaranteed and have been reading through their handbook. From what I've gathered, they calculate different incomes...a qualifying income to make sure you don't make too much money for the USDA program and one the lender uses to determine annual and repayment income. Perhaps this is where the confusion at your bank is coming from. 

Message 6 of 7
kc0039
Established Contributor

I can't see your paystubs and your tax returns. I would call our local USDA office and ask them if they can help you calculate. Most of them are willing to do it because they would like to be able to do a USDA loan

Licensed in IL
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.