cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorized credit inquiry by a mortgage lender.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unauthorized credit inquiry by a mortgage lender.

Hi

Some background

I am around 40 days away from closing my new home. The lender I plan to close with has to repull my credit score since the previous report has expired (4 months). I have been holding off on the repull as long as i can to give more time to my score.

I pulled my score/report on myfico recently to check where my scores are at and it turns out my median score is at the exact boundary of a range. Just a point more and I go into the next range whih gets me a better interest rate. 

This is the bakground. Now the real situation. I noticed that one of the other lenders I was working with earlier had an extra inquiry on my report a few months back. I did not authorize this extra inquiry. I asked them about it and they did accept that it wasn't authorized by me and encouraged me to dispute it. 

What is the best and quickest way for me to get this hard inquiry off my reports (all 3 bureaus).

I think a disupte will take time and  I cannot afford to do it since I can't hold off on my credit repull as I am close to my clsoing date. Moreover if the dispute doesnt get resolved in time, I might have troubles closing due it.

Can i force this lender to work with Credco(whom they used) and/or the bureu to get this off?

Getting this inquiry off would maybe get me that 1 extra score point and push me to the next range of score.

Advice guys !

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Unauthorized credit inquiry by a mortgage lender.

Good luck getting that inquiry removed from your report. Authorized or not, it is a valid inquiry from the credit agency reporting standpoint. I would demand that the lender contact the credit agencies directly. They created the inquiry and they can remove it. Remind them that what they did was illegal.

That said, remember that any mortgage application, unless cancelled in writing, can be enough basis for the lender to pull your credit.

Message 2 of 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Unauthorized credit inquiry by a mortgage lender.

Well said EZ.

I agree, a dispute would not be the right way to handle it since you are in the middle of a mortgage app and no disputes are allowed. Contact the lender directly that pulled the unauthorized credit inq and have them remove the inq.

Reminder to everyone, a "cancellation" of a mortgage application is an official written letter of withdrawal of the mortgage application and withdrawing your consent to process the loan or pull your credit. An email would work as well, but you can't rely on verbal.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.