cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Under contract, but very worried (IRS / 4056-T form / Streamline agreement)

tag
vlaw1084
Contributor

Re: Under contract, but very worried (IRS / 4056-T form / Streamline agreement)

see below.

Message 11 of 32
vlaw1084
Contributor

Everyone just relax a bit.  IF you contact your local TAX ADVOCATE immediately he or she may be able to push through those last minute tax returns in time for you to close.  I had to do the same thing at the last moment. In my state of NC, the local office is in Greensboro but we did everything my email and fax. SO IT CAN BE DONE.  I believe I posted some tax advocate information on one of my recent post.  Once you contact the advocate explain that you are trying to close on your home they will then set you up with a case worker that will work for YOU to get what you need.  The IRS does not want to impede that process because they know it can help in the long run for folks that are trying to put a room over their family heads.  

J

Message 12 of 32
Draco007
New Contributor

Thank you Vlaw -- I called and started the process.  How long did it take you to get transcripts available once you got the TAS on the case?

Message 13 of 32
ceejx
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been a lurker on this forum for a couple years back when my credit scores was in the 400s. After working very hard, I got my credit up into the mid 700s before it coming back down to mid-600s once an old collection popped up. Thanks for everyone's help!

Anyway, I paid that off, got pre-qualfied for a 250K FHA loan and all seamed amazing with the world. No "normal" debt, everything coming into place. Bunch of credit cards, 25% utilization,  couldn't believe it was so "easy".

Well I didn't file taxes for 04, 05, 06, 09, 10, and 11 (long story). Once I got a notice in the mail, I hired a lawyer, got all my returns taken care of and had less than 25k in total IRS debt so they allowed me to do a streamlined payment plan over 60 months. I never got a tax lien, it was never deliquent (well, you know what I mean) and I felt great for getting this taken care of. Now I'm worried.

Now that my loan has gone to underwriting, they made me sign a 4056-T form to verify that my tax returns and W2s were accurate. They say it's just to make sure there's nothing fraudulant going on and they just want the "TBR"s... just to verify income. I told my loan originator the situation but he says we have to wait until the transcripts come back. Various things I've read say you cannot close on an FHA loan with a tax lien (I don't) and you can as long as you have an installment payment agreement in place (I do).

Obviously, it would crush my family if this falls through and we have to stay in the rental home in the semi-dangerous neighborhood with the less-than-desirable schools. I'm doing everything I can to come through for them but I have a feeling all the work I've done will come crashing down when they realize I owe the IRS $23k even though I have an agreement in place with the IRS.

Anyone have experience with this? Any advice? Anything to make me stop stressing out? I'm sick to my stomach. Underwriting says we should have that back in the next 48 hours max since they are a big lender and the IRS is typically quick with them.

I've read both sides of this but a lot of the advice is dated before the IRS stopped being so hardcore about liens.

Thank you so much for any advice!

TL;DR?

I didn't file for 09 and 10 and finally caught everything up this year on april 17th (including '11).. did my 4056-T and didn't even come up as an issue. According to my LO when I initially expressed my concerns about it, she said underwriters don't care as long as they're paid....

fwiw, just throwing this in.. though it might not be as relevant if you're under a tax plan

Message 14 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update:

Today was my first payment due date on my plan so I called the IRS to make sure they received it since everything is crucial right now. I also mentioned that I made a request via 4506 for return and account transcripts, but would only need the return transcripts (sneaky a little bit?).

Coincidentally, the loan processor received the 09 and 10 returns hours later, but the 11 return hadn't posted yet. It was faxed / emailed on November 1st and was told it could take up to 6 weeks to be available for transcript. My lender decided to proceed with the contigency that the 11 transcript was available at the time of close. UWing said nothing about an outstanding balance or anything like that.Sweet!

My LO (who knows the whole story) said he had to run the numbers with my monthly payment factored for DTI but I should be just fine since we didn't purchase max budget. He made me send him the IRS agreement letter and said FHA has no problem as long as the arrangement is approved and there are no current liens... the <local government omitted> mortgage that we really want is much pickier and we might not qualify for that. We're already teetering on the lines of a few income thresholds and this definitely doesn't help.

I guess I need to talk to one of these advocates about making sure my 2011 transcript is available in time for close... my tax lawyer/accountant said there was nothing they could do to speed that up. 

Message 15 of 32
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Update:

Today was my first payment due date on my plan so I called the IRS to make sure they received it since everything is crucial right now. I also mentioned that I made a request via 4506 for return and account transcripts, but would only need the return transcripts (sneaky a little bit?).

Coincidentally, the loan processor received the 09 and 10 returns hours later, but the 11 return hadn't posted yet. It was faxed / emailed on November 1st and was told it could take up to 6 weeks to be available for transcript. My lender decided to proceed with the contigency that the 11 transcript was available at the time of close. UWing said nothing about an outstanding balance or anything like that.Sweet!

My LO (who knows the whole story) said he had to run the numbers with my monthly payment factored for DTI but I should be just fine since we didn't purchase max budget. He made me send him the IRS agreement letter and said FHA has no problem as long as the arrangement is approved and there are no current liens... the <local government omitted> mortgage that we really want is much pickier and we might not qualify for that. We're already teetering on the lines of a few income thresholds and this definitely doesn't help.

I guess I need to talk to one of these advocates about making sure my 2011 transcript is available in time for close... my tax lawyer/accountant said there was nothing they could do to speed that up. 

I'm going to cross my fingers that your DTI threshold pans out favorably for you during this process.

Good luck man!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 16 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Vlaw - Thank you very much for this. I didn't even know that was an option.

My realtor told me today that we might want to discuss the possibility of a short extension for closing with the seller rather than waiting until the last minute and upsetting them.

I told him about this advocate that I read here and that I would call in the morning to see if we can get my most recent transcript a little sooner... hoping since I've been so cooperative with the IRS during this process that they will give me the benefit of the doubt.

And webhopper, thanks for your support. This is a great place that's provided a lot of hope and knowledge! We get the appraisal back tomorrow, very curious to where it will land since our offer has many pricing contigencies for CC and concessions. Hoping it's huge, but don't mind paying less if it's less.

Message 17 of 32
vlaw1084
Contributor

Sorry for the late response, MY local tax advocate was able to get it done within 2 weeks , that is with the actual transcripts processed and 4506-T available.  You let them go to work for you and they will, they are truly there to help those in need. Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 32
Draco007
New Contributor

Thank you Vlaw.  I did as you reccomended this last week and I'm glad I did.  The tax advocate assigned to my case called the next day and we overnight mailed a copy of our returns to him to have him expedite the transcripts ASAP.  He said we should be able to get this before our orginal estimated close date.

Message 19 of 32
rkb84
Contributor

Glad you got the tax advocates to help, I just called and all they said was it takes 8-12 weeks to process. What the hell.. I though they were they ones to call for help with these things?

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.