Community Leader
Senior Contributor
StartingOver10

Re: Underwater mortgage & seeking advice.

webhopper wrote:
You could take out a personal loan to pay down the balance in oder to refinance. Not sure this will help.

I would recommend that you pay to have the house appraised at this point.

+1

Zillow and the other automated valuation models (AVM's) are not really a viable way to determine real value.

An appraiser is worth their fee if they are local and experienced with your area. The market is rapidly changing now: increased demand and very low supply, at least in my area of the country. This makes a market for increasing prices. If you want to feel out your price, have an agent come over and give you a CMA for your neighborhood, then make your decision about the appraiser. After all, the CMA is free.

toshapethefuture

StartingOver10 wrote:

webhopper wrote:
You could take out a personal loan to pay down the balance in oder to refinance. Not sure this will help.

I would recommend that you pay to have the house appraised at this point.

+1

Zillow and the other automated valuation models (AVM's) are not really a viable way to determine real value.

An appraiser is worth their fee if they are local and experienced with your area. The market is rapidly changing now: increased demand and very low supply, at least in my area of the country. This makes a market for increasing prices. If you want to feel out your price, have an agent come over and give you a CMA for your neighborhood, then make your decision about the appraiser. After all, the CMA is free.

Thanks StartingOver10. Looking in to finding a local appraiser and a reputable realtor for a CMA.

There are some some factors that may increase demand in my area, namely the FBI headquarters moving to the county I am in, and possibly to the town my condo is in.

New Visitor
maryd2929

You might be eligible for the FHA refinance program since you don't have a fannie or freddie loan.

Contributor
Elcid89

It's somewhat of a nuclear option, but you are allowed to borrow from your 401(k) for a home purchase, and at a very low rate (my 401k offers loans at 1.25%). That may give you the cushion you need to buy your way out of the current mess.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}