Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underwriter vs. VP of Lending

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Underwriter vs. VP of Lending

We are currently in that limbo area waiting for the title work to be completed so the file can be sent to underwriting for final approval and I, like most, am stressed out.

We are using a portfolio lender because of a foreclosure (rental property) that hasn't aged out. Our LO told us this required a policy exception so she got our file preapproved by the VP of lending and the BOD before ordering the appraisal etc. They agreed to move forward with the loan if we increased our DP by 5%.

If nothing in the file has changed, can the underwriter deny the loan even if the VP of lending has done the preapproval?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Underwriter vs. VP of Lending

@Anonymous wrote:
We are currently in that limbo area waiting for the title work to be completed so the file can be sent to underwriting for final approval and I, like most, am stressed out.

We are using a portfolio lender because of a foreclosure (rental property) that hasn't aged out. Our LO told us this required a policy exception so she got our file preapproved by the VP of lending and the BOD before ordering the appraisal etc. They agreed to move forward with the loan if we increased our DP by 5%.

If nothing in the file has changed, can the underwriter deny the loan even if the VP of lending has done the preapproval?

Yes...if the underwriter finds an issue unrelated to the exception that the VP of lending signed off on. How long have you been waiting? When was the appraisal ordered? Has it been received by the lender yet? Has the file been submitted to underiting? I don't know the source of your stree without the answers to these questions.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Absolutely, sorry to say. There are a whole slew of things the UW is going to evaluate, the foreclosure only being one of them. It's good that you got a policy exception from the VP on the foreclosure issue, but the UW is still going to do a full UW nonetheless.

Hopefully all will go well. Keeping fingers crossed for you.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

We submitted all of our paperwork and signed disclosures the week of 6/14.  The appraisal/title work was ordered but then the LO wanted to do the policy exception 1st. When she said it would need a policy exception, I called a few other portfolio type banks just in case.  One guy told me there was no way, no one would touch it until the foreclosure ages out & he was surprised that my LO said they could do it.

My original LO came back with a pre- approval (she submitted the entire file) if we increased the DP to 25%.  The appraisal came back last week - $10K over.  We got a new GFE (LTV is based on appraised value).  The same day the LP requested updated bank statements from our main checking/savings account. The LP did not request statements from our other 2 bank accounts or more recent check stubs.

We're waiting on title before the file gets submitted to underwriting but the other LO has me paranoid that this isn't going to happen.

Message 4 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

We submitted all of our paperwork and signed disclosures the week of 6/14.  The appraisal/title work was ordered but then the LO wanted to do the policy exception 1st. When she said it would need a policy exception, I called a few other portfolio type banks just in case.  One guy told me there was no way, no one would touch it until the foreclosure ages out & he was surprised that my LO said they could do it.

My original LO came back with a pre- approval (she submitted the entire file) if we increased the DP to 25%.  The appraisal came back last week - $10K over.  We got a new GFE (LTV is based on appraised value).  The same day the LP requested updated bank statements from our main checking/savings account. The LP did not request statements from our other 2 bank accounts or more recent check stubs.

We're waiting on title before the file gets submitted to underwriting but the other LO has me paranoid that this isn't going to happen.

Other LO doesn't know the market: portfolio lenders play by their own rules and nobody elses.

Common industry: yeah foreclosure is a mess as you know; however, much like I found in the jumbo space things vary wildly for individual lenders... jumbo loans are basically all portfolioed within reason anyway.  

Several LO's just from the stories related here in the past few months, don't even know their own policies sometimes let alone any other lender's ones, especially when we're talking something as "let's make a deal" as the jumbo or portfolio spaces.

Fact is, this is such a simple and OBVIOUS issue, that you wouldn't have gotten this far if they were going to kick you out, but you just had to strengthen your case for the exception.  There's even a similar policy in the normal mortgage market anyway for strength of file exceptions on other things, so you'll be OK on that front just your lender is more flexible than others.  What the other posters were really trying to get at that was UW will tackle all sorts of things, and you might lose it on that, but your foreclosure shouldn't be an issue.

        
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was texting with LO about a small title issue they are clearing and asked if she thought there would be any issues in UW.  Her response - "There will be no problems in UW because your file has already been seen by the head of UW".  Let's hope she knows her stuff!!!

We did get an email today saying she was waiting to hear from the LP and she expected to have info on closing date, time, place this afternoon. Fingers crossed we get the CTC today!

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Our LO has set a closing date for Monday 7/13, but our file won't be done with underwriting until tomorrow 7/9.  Apparently she isn't anticipating any conditions.  She once again said that underwriting is just a formality because the head of underwriting has given his blessing.  I wish some of her confidence would rub off on me, I jump anytime I hear the email notification on my phone thinking it will be THE email.

It has been a long journey back to homeownership so when we close I will post the whole saga...right now I don't want to jinx it ☺

Message 7 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Our LO has set a closing date for Monday 7/13, but our file won't be done with underwriting until tomorrow 7/9.  Apparently she isn't anticipating any conditions.  She once again said that underwriting is just a formality because the head of underwriting has given his blessing.  I wish some of her confidence would rub off on me, I jump anytime I hear the email notification on my phone thinking it will be THE email.

It has been a long journey back to homeownership so when we close I will post the whole saga...right now I don't want to jinx it ☺

Hah yeah.  I've been working dozens of extra hours at work lately which has left me with little time to worry about the mortgage (or this forum heh), sounds like you're golden though.  Did you complete UW / on track for Monday?

        
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved!!! We're closing tomorrow afternoon.  There was a a bit of a delay because the bank is small and they only have one underwriter (poor thing).  The LO officer said all the files she did last week were horrible and took forever so she didn't want to push too hard.  So excited to finally be done!!

Message 9 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Approved!!! We're closing tomorrow afternoon.  There was a a bit of a delay because the bank is small and they only have one underwriter (poor thing).  The LO officer said all the files she did last week were horrible and took forever so she didn't want to push too hard.  So excited to finally be done!!

Cheers!

        
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.