Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underwriting Overlays

tag
fixmycred14
Established Contributor

Underwriting Overlays

Should I email the preferred lenders of the builder and ask what the UW overlays are? Specifically, as they refer to charge-offs & collections?  I know FHA does not require these to be paid off but the lender may.

Starting Score: FICO TU 591 FICO EX 581 FICO EQ 555
Current Score: FICO TU 662 FICO EX 652 FICO EQ 643
Goal Score: 700 CLUB

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge NFCU nRewards $20K Cap1 Secured $500 NFCU LOC $15K TJX $250 BOA $500
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Re: Underwriting Overlays

If your intention is to pick from them then yes this is a good idea - out before applying where you stand

Good Luck

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 2 of 16
fixmycred14
Established Contributor

Yes, I don't know anything about the four preferred lenders. So, before I apply I would like to know what overlays they may have.

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge NFCU nRewards $20K Cap1 Secured $500 NFCU LOC $15K TJX $250 BOA $500
Message 3 of 16
Christian123
New Contributor

Yes. I think it's a good idea to call them and ask before you apply.  If I had done that it would've saved me a couple inquiries.  I was denied by one of the preferred lenders due to their overlay and was approved by the other.

Starting Scores 3/10---EQ 495, TU 505
5/13- EQ 720, TU 722, EX 696(Lender Pull)
Gardening since 5/2013 until 3/2014
Closed on dream home- 12/17/13
Message 4 of 16
fixmycred14
Established Contributor

Thank you for the advice.

Message 5 of 16
fixmycred14
Established Contributor

I received one response so far...the mortgage company said that their FHA loans go through the government. They also said they are capable of doing higher ratio loans with lower scores. I want to know what the exceptions are?? I didn't get as detailed of an answer as I was hoping for. Since, I'm not ready to app I didn't want to get too much into my profile....or should I?

Message 6 of 16
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@fixmycred14 wrote:

I received one response so far...the mortgage company said that their FHA loans go through the government. They also said they are capable of doing higher ratio loans with lower scores. I want to know what the exceptions are?? I didn't get as detailed of an answer as I was hoping for. Since, I'm not ready to app I didn't want to get too much into my profile why?....or should I?  when are you applying?

it doesnt hurt to ask questions....

Retired Lender
Message 7 of 16
fixmycred14
Established Contributor

I'm looking to apply in May/June.  I wanted to use this Q&A period as a process of elimination. I don't want to put my foot in my mouth and say too much too soon.

Message 8 of 16
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

@fixmycred14 wrote:

I don't want to put my foot in my mouth and say too much too soon.

No one here is going to care one way or the other

we are here to offer free advice and help along the way

Not that this is what you meant but if you have concerns or issues that you need help with dont hesitate to post them 

Good Luck - I like how you are planning ahead

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 9 of 16
fixmycred14
Established Contributor

Thanks for your support. Yes, you're correct! I meant the LO. Is it better to lay out my entire profile or wait until I'm ready to apply?

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.