Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underwriting Question

tag
Booma
Established Member

Underwriting Question

We are currently about to sign a contract for a new home and I have a slight worry about underwriting. We were pre-qualified and have locked a rate with the LO (VA loan @ 3.5% with $2K closing credit) for 45 days. My contract with the builder states I have to secure a lender commitment within 15 days or the deposit is forfeited, so I want to make sure all is well before making it official.

The concern is that I was deployed for four months and my pay history will not reflect my true income. I make $95-100K a year on the civilian side and my wife makes about $40K. The mortgage is for $337K and our DTI is mid-30s using my civilian earnings. The issue is that my pay stubs haven't caught up yet so I will have to use military stubs, which are much less. I have my previous tax returns to prove consistent earnings, but a big chunk of my pay is technically commission. This commission is consistent month to month, but if they look at my pay I've earned $40K YTD (military + civilian) where I would normally have earned about $75-80K without the deployment.

My rational side says that this is not a problem and they understand that the break in income was due to the deployment. The analytical side says that the UW will consider it a problem in the event I'm deployed again. I am likely getting out of the guard next summer when my contract expires, so I really have no chance of that happening. I don't want to lose my $5k deposit due to underwriting. Credit scores are mid-700s for both of us and my employment history (civilian) goes back about 7 years. 

Can anyone with experience in this situation share some knowledge? 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Underwriting Question

Has the loan officer reviewed all of your documentation already?  Or I guess if you are pre-qualified (instead of pre-approved) perhaps they just went off what you verbally told them and a credit check, without reviewing any of your documents.  If so, that is a situation where things usually don't go so well/leads to some surprises.

In past experiences with clients who have been deployed for a period of time, it's not been an issue if they are back to work on their civilian job as the civilian pay is used to qualify (what you receive on a monthly basis, not YTD divided by 12 months).  Commission income is calculated over a 24 month average though, an underwriter may remove the months you were deployed for from the 24 month calculation but to play it conservatively I'd just assume they wouldn't.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.