cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underwriting delay caused by tax transcripts?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Underwriting delay caused by tax transcripts?

Hey everyone,

I have been pre-approved for a loan, and will likely be making an offer for a place on April 1st (fingers crossed I find something I like!). My accountant just filed my 2014 and 2015 tax returns. I had an extension for 2014, but never got them filed.  He was able to eFile both years.  The IRS website says it takes about 3 weeks for e-filed returns to appear in a transcript.  That would likely be a week after I make an offer (which is hopefully accepted). 

I'm going to ask my lender about potential delays, but for those who have experienced this process before, have IRS transcripts being delayed caused problems with closing or getting final approval?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Underwriting delay caused by tax transcripts?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey everyone,

I have been pre-approved for a loan, and will likely be making an offer for a place on April 1st (fingers crossed I find something I like!). My accountant just filed my 2014 and 2015 tax returns. I had an extension for 2014, but never got them filed.  He was able to eFile both years.  The IRS website says it takes about 3 weeks for e-filed returns to appear in a transcript.  That would likely be a week after I make an offer (which is hopefully accepted). 

I'm going to ask my lender about potential delays, but for those who have experienced this process before, have IRS transcripts being delayed caused problems with closing or getting final approval?

Thanks!

It has historically for a lot of people whenever the IRS hits a snag (or gets shutdown due to the budget clashes).  UW is going to want the IRS transcript, but I think there's an esclation point for this too inside the IRS, consumer tax advocate or some such?  I recall some people from last time talking to a human and getting transcript verification done quicker if it becomes problematic, but a week shouldn't be a big deal after offer even probably one a stated one month close but I'd let the LO know regardless.

Only obvious elephant in the living room is this isn't a slow time for the IRS so delays could happen.

        
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Underwriting delay caused by tax transcripts?

Just a follow-up: By some miracle the returns have been posted for both 2014 and 2015 tax years, and everything is appearing on transcripts. Pretty amazing considering they were filed only a week ago!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.