cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underwriting woes, am I going to be disappointed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Underwriting woes, am I going to be disappointed?

We started this process at the end of February. We received a pre-qualification for $175K for an FHA loan. We found a home and went through the process of being preapproved (through desktop underwriting after turning in pay stubs, w2's, etc) before putting in an offer, the sellers countered and we eventually settled on full asking price, seller pays 2.5% of closing. 

This is the timeline since then

3-4 Accepted offer forwarded to Lender

3-4 lender sends disclosures, estimated closing costs, payment, etc

3-7 all disclosures signed and sent back to lender

3-9 Septic, Foundation, and Home Inspection with WDO. Home passes with flying colors

3-14 lender advises well testing is required

3-16 well testing completed

3-23 sent completed  engineering certificate (foundation inspection) to lender

3-24 sent competed well test to lender, lender orders appraisal 

3-25 file goes to underwriting 

4-4 Underwriting conditions come back, simple stuff. Last 30 days of pay stubs, LOE for large dep (401K payout from former job, sent in cancelled check) and LOE for job change last fall, disputes removal for 1 collections acct. luckily I learned through this forum that disputes should be removed so I did that last week and saved myself some time and money. 

4-5 all conditions completed, processor says she would send everything to the underwriter "to have the suspend removed and see if there are more conditions" when I question the suspended file she tells me the job change worried them but we are fine, underwriter should have us an answer in 2-3 days. 

4-8 sitting on the couch, binge eating, stressing, still no answer Smiley Happy

A little about us. 

Home being purchased on husbands credit alone. Middle mortgage score is 667, 1 CC with a $50 balance, 1 old collection for $2100, had dispute removed but isn't paid off. No other bills. Income is approximately $55K with OT but they won't count the OT since its a new job so they are only using hourly making it about $39K. Purchase price is $170K, FHA loan 3.5% down, $14K saved so no problem with down payment and seller is paying closing costs. Estimated payment with P&I, taxes, insurance and PMI is $1170

Husband changed jobs last fall after 10 years with previous employer, new company is one of those amazing ones that only hires every once in a while. We knew we were about to start this home buying journey but we couldn't turn down this opportunity. Similar jobs and no gap in employment. No late payments on credit report since 1/2015 and that was a car payment that was paid off summer 2015.

Not hearing anything is making me nervous. Is there anything that looks like it may hold us back? LO calls this a clean file and says we have nothing to worry about, Processor says we look great and she doesn't see any problems but I can't shake this feeling that it's too good to be true. Any advice, reassurances or warnings appreciated. I'm giving myself gray hair over here!

7 REPLIES 7
GirlMelanie89
Established Contributor

Re: Underwriting woes, am I going to be disappointed?

Don't create stress that isn't there. Just breathe and enjoy his moment. Everything will be ok!!! Good luck but I'm sure you don't need it!! 😉
Bankruptcy discharged: May 2014 Starting Score: 571 Goal Score: 700
Current Score: 676 (EQ FICO) 674 (EX FICO) 662 (TU FICO)

Mortgage Loan Originator in Kentucky
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have no valuable advice. How did this ever turn out though?
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Still waiting. 

I found out on Monday that the underwriter requested additional conditions on 4-7. These must have been things for the Processor or Loan officer to handle because I wasn't asked for anything or told about anything until I requested an update 4-11. These additional conditions were submitted 4-7 and the LO said yesterday that we should know something at any moment. 

I'm hoping that since the underwriter requested more info 4-7 that she was satisfied with my LOE for the job change. Still on pins and needles but it would such an easier process if we had more communication. Our contract expires 4-18, I feel like there is no way we can close by then. This is so frustrating. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

any update?

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Almost there. My LO called on 4-12, said we had a couple more conditions to complete and she would send them over as soon as the processor got them to her. 

4/13 we got the conditions

1. LOE for credit pulls (shopping for mortgage rates)

2. Homeowners insurance binder with additional coverage

3. Extended contract from the sellers 

4. Amended contract removing me and saying the "pool stairs are personal property with no value"

I sent over the LOE immediately, the insurance binder, and contract changes went over yesterday afternoon. Underwriter should get everything today and we may get a clear to close this afternoon, if not hopefully on Monday. We are currently scheduled to close 4/25 and that was a date given to us by the processor. 

I'm ready for this to be over and I really hope we close on the 25th. Our lease expires on 4/30 so it gives me just a few days to get everything moved out of here and into our new home. 

I'm terrified that the underwriter will want something else and push us back. 

Im assuming these are standard conditions but I have no idea if they are. This process is making me go gray! 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am some what of the same situation. Just wondering if you have had an update? 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's been a mess! 

4/18 morning, the underwriter came back and said the well/ septic weren't far enough from the home to meet FHA guidelines. The appraiser clearly stated in his report that it did meet guidelines. We highlighted that info and sent it to the underwriter. 

4/18 afternoon, underwriter asks about permitted additions, home has no additions but does have an elaborate deck. The engineer stated that any additions/ modifications meet FHA standards meaning the porch but since additions were mentioned the underwriter requested info about the addition. 

4/19 cleared up addition confusion and processor said we shoud have the clear to close this morning to the realtor but told me a couple of days. 

4/20 afternoon no clear to close, no word today, really frustrated and sad, I'm ready to be done. 

our contract on the home was extended till 4/29, our landlord extended our lease till the end of May so we are covered there but we are on week 7 and if we close next week it will be 8 weeks to finish this process. The sellers live out of state but still have a house full of furniture that they have to move out. I'm so ready to close, fingers crossed we get a clear to close tomorrow!! 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.