Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underwriting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Underwriting

Working towrds the purchase of my first home. We've had a successful appraisal, still waiting for the report. I guess the underwriter is working on things now. I really wish the lender would give an idea of how long the underwriting process will take. Overall, the mortgage officer is positive, keeps saying she sees no problems. I'm still nervous about the process, partly because I've never been through it.

The seller's agent is kind of a nuisance. My agent has called over the process with requests from the buyer's agent which are a bit annoying for me to deal with (e.g. getting information from the lender and forwarding to them), I feel like i'm working for them. Is this a normal part of the process? This stems from their nervousness of dealing with large banks (my lender is BOA) and the great potiential the deal will fall through at the last minute. Is it normal for the buyer's agent to complain like this before snags have been hit? Thus far, my experience with BOA has been okay, the loan officer doesn't follow up as well as I would like, other than that it's just a waiting game. I'm suppose to close oct 9th, hopefully i make the date. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Underwriting

@Anonymous wrote:

Working towrds the purchase of my first home. We've had a successful appraisal, still waiting for the report. I guess the underwriter is working on things now. I really wish the lender would give an idea of how long the underwriting process will take. Overall, the mortgage officer is positive, keeps saying she sees no problems. I'm still nervous about the process, partly because I've never been through it.

The seller's agent is kind of a nuisance. My agent has called over the process with requests from the buyer's agent which are a bit annoying for me to deal with (e.g. getting information from the lender and forwarding to them), I feel like i'm working for them. Is this a normal part of the process? This stems from their nervousness of dealing with large banks (my lender is BOA) and the great potiential the deal will fall through at the last minute. Is it normal for the buyer's agent to complain like this before snags have been hit? Thus far, my experience with BOA has been okay, the loan officer doesn't follow up as well as I would like, other than that it's just a waiting game. I'm suppose to close oct 9th, hopefully i make the date. 

The buyer's agent is your representative.  The seller's agent represents the seller.

The buyer's agent is  there to make your deal smooth - not add stress to the transaction. Are you working with an experienced agent or a noob? There are certain deadlines within your contract that your agent is supposed to help you meet. Most of your contact at the beginning after the contract signing has to do with your inspections and HOA approval (if any) and your communications with your lender.

What is the seller's rep asking from you? Shouldn't be anything other than the loan commitment and CTC and all of that info would be supplied by your agent to the seller's agent without involving you (to keep the stress off).

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most recently, the seller's agent asked for an update regarding the loan process and documentation regarding the appraisal. Also, the seller's agent continues to tell my agent large banks make them nervous, because they've lost deals in the past. 

Maybe I'm frustrated with the process. It's like walking down a dark hallway, feeling for the exit.

Message 3 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Most recently, the seller's agent asked for an update regarding the loan process and documentation regarding the appraisal. Also, the seller's agent continues to tell my agent large banks make them nervous, because they've lost deals in the past. 

Maybe I'm frustrated with the process. It's like walking down a dark hallway, feeling for the exit.

^^^normal for the agent to request an update on your loan process and appraisal value.

BOA and Wells Fargo have a habit of issuing pre-approvals and then not being able to close due to some lender overlay that other lenders don't have. Could be that the listing agent is thinking your deal will end up the same way; no closing and no notification until the last minute.

Not really anything you can do about it now unless you apply with another lender that doesn't have such a  reputation for not closing (many of the big box banks are like this now). This does not mean that they don't close loans at all. It means that their overlay's prevent some good qualified buyers from closing with their institutions. The buyer has to go to a correspondent type lender to get the loan. Unfortunately the LO at the big box bank doesn't tell the buyer/borrower until they are turned down by underwriting rather than telling them right up front.

The other thing the listing agent can do is get a backup offer behind your contract that would come into effect if BOA doesn't close. That doesn't help you though.

If you are confident that BOA is going to close you, then there is nothing to worry about.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks StartingOver10! 

I'm hoping we close by 10/8. The LO has been nothing but positive. Telling me not to worry. We'll see

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.