cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsecured Personal Installment Loan Question...

tag
Andy77
Valued Contributor

Unsecured Personal Installment Loan Question...

I have the following balances on my credit cards:

Capital One: 4055.00 CL: 4200
Orchard Bank 2150 CL: 2200
Exxon 250 CL: 850
Bank Of America 800 CL 800

If I transfer the balances listed above to a personal unsecured installment loan, thu bringing down my CC balances to 0, will this have a large positive effect on my score?

EQ: 653.00 major reason for lower score is high CC utilizaiton.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Unsecured Personal Installment Loan Question...

Andy77 wrote:
I have the following balances on my credit cards:

Capital One: 4055.00 CL: 4200
Orchard Bank 2150 CL: 2200
Exxon 250 CL: 850
Bank Of America 800 CL 800

If I transfer the balances listed above to a personal unsecured installment loan, thu bringing down my CC balances to 0, will this have a large positive effect on my score?

EQ: 653.00 major reason for lower score is high CC utilizaiton.

I say YES! For max FICO points have 1-9% util reporting on only two of these cards and $0 balances on the others. If these are the only negatives, I wouldn't be surprised if you are well into the 700's after your report updates.
Message 2 of 4
Andy77
Valued Contributor

Thank you for your answer....so you are saying its ok to have an unsecured installment loan that is at its max...meaning I am borrowing 9200 and until I pay down the loan its going to start out at 9200 so what type of utilization is that 100%?  How does this look on a credit report?

I was told this type of loan is not a credit line, meaing as I pay it down, I do not have any additional credit available...not sure if this fact will impact my score either
Message 3 of 4
fused
Moderator Emeritus

If this unsecured loan is an installment loan and reports as such you should be fine. Make sure it's not a revolving line of credit or some other funky installment/revolving hybrid loan. Revolving utilization calculations carry a ton more weight in FICO scoring than installment util calculations.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.