cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upd.(8/19/13): Post BK, post SS FHA 1st Option (NFCU fail)

tag
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Upd.(8/19/13): Post BK, post SS FHA 1st Option (NFCU fail)

Scores are in my signature, but they're only part of the story.

Filed BK 8/27/2010, discharge 12/10/10.

Stupid BofA refused to let me DIL (or Foreclose) on the house, so I used the law firm I work for to SS it.

SS recorded 11/7/12

So theoretically, the waiting time for the BK has passed, but not the time for the SS.  No FHA for me.

Instead, knowing that Navy Fed treats BK people awesomely, I called them and spoke to an underwriter a few months ago.  According to the UW, they don't follow the FHA rules for their conventional loans; what will matter is what I've done since the BK; and the SS(title transfer) date doesn't matter as long as I have perfect history since the BK and the title is out of my name.

I don't need to buy a house, I just want to.  I'm sick of living in my apartment, and I have the means to do so.  I've got about $40K saved atm, and should have ~$50/55 by the time anything closes.  So I told them I'd put 20K down and was seeking pre-approval for $350K (their rule is 5% for conventional).  I'm preliminarily approved by the application taker for a 4% 15yr Fixed, 1/4 point, no Origination Fee.  I'm happy with that.  Also, no Application Fee and they'll pay $2500 of my closing costs.  There was also no application fee.

Now, waiting for the underwriter to call with his terms (3-5 days) or a total denial.  I have a contingency plan to go rent a house if I get denied, so it won't bug me too much... still, would be nice to own a house again or to know with certainty that I'm not buying for another 2.3 years.

Here's to hoping,

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
justrock
Frequent Contributor

Re: NFCU Application in... post BK, post SS

Good luck.  How does everyone here get involved with NFCU??  I don't have any living relatives that are military.  My Dad was but he's long gone and never had an account with them.

Starting Score: 597
Current Score: TU 720 EQ 648
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 33
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

I had my uncle (in Navy) join my mother and I joined through her.  There is always some path to get in to Navy, though it might take 3-6 steps!

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Message 3 of 33
StartingLifeOver
Regular Contributor

@SoulMaster wrote:

Scores are in my signature, but they're only part of the story.

Filed BK 8/27/2010, discharge 12/10/10.

Stupid BofA refused to let me DIL (or Foreclose) on the house, so I used the law firm I work for to SS it.

SS recorded 11/7/12

So theoretically, the waiting time for the BK has passed, but not the time for the SS.  No FHA for me.

Instead, knowing that Navy Fed treats BK people awesomely, I called them and spoke to an underwriter a few months ago.  According to the UW, they don't follow the FHA rules for their conventional loans; what will matter is what I've done since the BK; and the SS(title transfer) date doesn't matter as long as I have perfect history since the BK and the title is out of my name.

I don't need to buy a house, I just want to.  I'm sick of living in my apartment, and I have the means to do so.  I've got about $40K saved atm, and should have ~$50/55 by the time anything closes.  So I told them I'd put 20K down and was seeking pre-approval for $350K (their rule is 5% for conventional).  I'm preliminarily approved by the application taker for a 4% 15yr Fixed, 1/4 point, no Origination Fee.  I'm happy with that.  Also, no Application Fee and they'll pay $2500 of my closing costs.  There was also no application fee.

Now, waiting for the underwriter to call with his terms (3-5 days) or a total denial.  I have a contingency plan to go rent a house if I get denied, so it won't bug me too much... still, would be nice to own a house again or to know with certainty that I'm not buying for another 2.3 years.

Here's to hoping,

-SM

Soulmaster, is this the fixed mortgage loan or the 100% financing?  How much time would they like to see pass?  Did the UW specify their rules for conventional loans?

NFCU Cash Rewards $16,100/FNBO Platinum $9.100/Best Buy Citibank $2,500/Care Credit $7,600/TJ Maxx $1000/Neiman Marcus $7000/Saks5thAve $2500

Starting Score: 426 Ch. 13 BK Filed Sep 2009; Discharged Jan 2013 Smiley Happy
Current Score: TU 706 EQ FICO 701 EX 704
Goal Score: 720

Message 4 of 33
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

It's conventional with 5%(min) down, not the 100% HomeBuyers Choice thing they have.

The UW I spoke with a few months ago said "we usually like to see about 2 years" as an answer to one of my questions, but I wasn't applying at the time... just probing for info.  When I asked him for a specific timeline post BK/SS he said "We evaluate every application manually and on it's own merits, and we don't have any specific time requirements after derogatories."  I took that with a grain of salt, but used it as motivation to prep for today's application

The real UW is supposed to call me in 3-5 days, so I'm sure I'll learn more about the qualifications when s/he does call.  And, whatever I learn, I'll be sure to post back here!

As for "So theoretically, the waiting time for the BK has passed", I was specifically referring to the FHA 2 year post-BK rule... not Navy's.  I wouldn't want FHA anymore anyway... 3.5% downpayment + 1.75% upfront PMI = 5.25%, and you pay PMI forever until you refi.   Why not just save 5% and buy something on a better plan? (Assuming the NFCU fixed mortgage can actually be approved @ 5% down).

-SM

Message 5 of 33
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Good Luck !!  Let us know how it goes with underwriting !

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 33
StartingLifeOver
Regular Contributor

I agree 100%. The fees for FHA were ridiculously expensive to me so I turned it down. I'd rather the extra $225 be used toward paying the mortgage down rather than paying PMI forever. I decided to wait until I'm eligible for a conventional mortgage, I just hate I'm missing these interest rates. Definitely keep us updated.
NFCU Cash Rewards $16,100/FNBO Platinum $9.100/Best Buy Citibank $2,500/Care Credit $7,600/TJ Maxx $1000/Neiman Marcus $7000/Saks5thAve $2500

Starting Score: 426 Ch. 13 BK Filed Sep 2009; Discharged Jan 2013 Smiley Happy
Current Score: TU 706 EQ FICO 701 EX 704
Goal Score: 720

Message 7 of 33
penguin11
Valued Member

SM, Good Luck with your approval, You are paving the road for us to follow.

Message 8 of 33
Ugghh
Established Member

Very interesting!  Good luck...  Can't wait to hear what happens.

Message 9 of 33
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Neither can I!  

<mumble>stupid underwriter-guy not calling me anyway...hrmnrm</mumble>

-SM

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.