Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update New Construction Journey *okay to start*

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Construction Journey *okay to start*

We are currently in the process of a new construction purchase. We signed a purchase agreement the end of January and so far the house is framed, roof is on, and windows are in. Went by yesterday and the plumbing materials have been dropped off so it looks like that should be started soon. Our orginal close date was May 31st but now its been moved to June 30th. The whole process minus the lender has been a disaster! Never again will I buy new construction.

We made some changes to a few things in the home and nothing has been done right. If we had not been going to the house every single day, a lot of the errors would have gotten too far to go back and do it the way it was stated in our purchase agreement. We have had to babysit this whole process. Its been very frustrating. We have been very very close to walking away. So my advice, if you have any changes made to the home, check on the house to be sure things are going as planned.

Message 11 of 21
creditstalker
Frequent Contributor

Phase 2

4/29 Lot cleared

5/2 Form boards complete

5/3 Foundation Beams formed

5/4 Underground plumbing installed

I'm planning to do a 3 phase inspection, and I will keep my notepad handy just in case I spot problems too. 

Current FICO 08 as of 06/01/2015 TU 648 EQ 624 EX 602
FICO Mortgage Scores TU 594 EQ 540 EX 642

Message 12 of 21
creditstalker
Frequent Contributor

I had to babysit as well....Over the weekend I noticed how the builder forgot to install the stair spindles at the top of the staircase- so it is just plain wall going up.   

Message 13 of 21
creditstalker
Frequent Contributor

Re: Update New Construction Journey *okay to start*

5/16 Slab Poured

5/20 Started Frame

5/23 Frame Completed

06/03 Siding/Windows Installed 

06/05 Exterior painted

06/06 Locked in Interest Rate 3.375%

06/06 6/14 -  Roof/Shingles,HVAC, Electrical and Plumbing Complete (3rd Party Inspection 6/14)

6/15 Gas fireplace Installed, Arch Framework complete

06/15 06/16-  Insulation Done

6/20 Drywall/Sheetrock Done

6/21 Wall and Ceiling Textures Done

6/22 Backyard framed for patio cement / Exterior Doors Installed

6/27 Brick arrived on 6/16 (have not been installed due to rain)

On 6/23 noticed that the contractors missed the upgraded option for the open wooden spindles at the top of the staircase...instead it is drywalled instead.  Notified the builder of the mistake....have not heard back.

Projected close date: Late July per Builder.

Message 14 of 21
creditstalker
Frequent Contributor

Contracters left windows open after drywall was installed.  We got a little rain, and the window seals got wet.  Should this be a concern?

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm somewhat in the same boat as you. Drywall has just went up and the windows are always open to the house and it's supposed to rain this week here. Gonna ask the superintendent about that to make sure the water doesn't damage anything. I would think that as long as the water hasn't pooled or soaked the drywall, you should be ok. Hopefully nothing else like this happens, you've only got 1 more month to go. Congrats!

Message 16 of 21
creditstalker
Frequent Contributor

I just spoke to my inspector, and he said that it shouldn't be an issue because they have to prime and paint- and once the HVAC is operating it will take the humidity levels out of the house, and he said that he will also do a thermal infrared scan at final inspection to look for any moisture in the walls....so that is very reassuring. 

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's good to hear. Last thing you need to be worrying about is water problems.

Message 18 of 21
creditstalker
Frequent Contributor

I know...They also forgot an upgraded option for the wooden spindles at the top of the staircase.....its just a plain wall.  It was completly overlooked.

I don't want the construction workers to feel like I'm micro-managing- because I make visits at least 3-4 times a week.....but I caught so many things by visiting often.   They almost forgot to install the wooden arches in the hallway bath and upstairs bath.....

Message 19 of 21
NYKnicks65
New Contributor

I have started my new contruction journey also.. It feels good coming from a Chapter7 two years ago to buidling a new home. Heading to the design studio!! Super excitied.. I hope everything continues to fall in place Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.