Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upside down asset and a mortgage?

tag
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Upside down asset and a mortgage?

How are upside down assets looked at when it comes to a mortgage? I have 2 vehicles and a motorcycle all financed. When getting values I come out around 5k upside down total. Any insight on if this effects the process?
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Upside down asset and a mortgage?

That's a good question.  Don't you have offsetting assets?  From the 1003 form the assets are viewed as a total and the liabilities are viewed as a total. Hopefully one of the LO's can answer your question.

Message 2 of 12
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

The 1003 needs a value for each asset and that value can be a positive or a negative number. Enter factual data on the 1003 and the underwriter will process it accordingly. Also, the underwriter cares more are positive and readily-convertable assets [eg: stocks, bonds, 401K, savings, etc.].

Message 3 of 12
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Offsetting assets? I have the upside down vehicles, and around 12k in savings. Most of the savings will be used for DP though.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 4 of 12
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Assets also include things like (if applicable):

• Stock accounts
  • 401k's or 403b or thrift savings types accounts (retirement accounts)
  • furniture
  • jewelry
  • other real estate, etc

Naturally as pointed out earlier, liquid or near liquid assets are preferred by lenders. 

Here is a 1003 form so you can familiarize yourself. https://www.fanniemae.com/content/guide_form/1003rev.pdf  This is the form that all lenders use for mortgage applications. 

Message 5 of 12
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

last i heard. automated doesnt even read the assets for autos and jewelry, ect.

i leave them off

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 12
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

i leave them off

Wow...that's good to know. Doesn't it create sort of a lopsided app though if you have an auto loan and no corresponding auto asset? Just curious here...

Message 7 of 12
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

i leave them off

Wow...that's good to know. Doesn't it create sort of a lopsided app though if you have an auto loan and no corresponding auto asset? Just curious here...

i had one company want them listed.

their policy was so the underwriter could compare autos and car notes.  so if you list a 2012 bmw but dont see a note? that raises questions.

anyway. i could be wrong. and people can put down what they want.  but i have been told by several different bossed that du doesnt consider them since they arent liquid

maybe they help with a manual underwrite?

Retired Lender
Message 8 of 12
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

My thing is that they are upside down, that may actually look worse. Can't make anything off of a vehicle that more is owed then it's worth :-P then again I look at it as they see 3 auto loans amounting around $70,000 but I don't list any asset corresponding to that debt it sort of looks unsecured. If that makes sense at all?
Message 9 of 12
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

i dont think it hurts you either way

Retired Lender
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.